Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the reason why I smell antifreeze while running the heater. There are no leaks under the car when parked in the garage. The floor (carpet)is not wet nor do the windows fog over while heater is on. Also, the smell is not as bad if you switch over to the defrost for heat. Thanks for you help

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
You could bypass your heater core and see if you still smell it. Just put a small hose across the 2 fittings on the motor. Then drive around and see if you still smell it. Also you could hook some air supply to the heater core and then sit in the car and see if you smell it also. Only put about 15 psi on the heater core.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I chased a problem like that for months and finally decided that the smell was coming from the engine compartment visa via out the rear of the hood...right into the fresh air inlet and thru the heater to my nose.

The problem was that the cap was not pressurizing and letting fumes from the radiator out into the engine bay.

Usually, if you have a heater core issue it shows up right away on the cold windshield when on defrost! If this is not happening, I would look elsewhere.

Just a thought?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot. I'm with you on thinking it is something other than the heater core. I will check the cap out and go from their.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts