Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter is going out I have a 10" bell housing using the correct starter with the inline bolt holes. I will be swaping engines and going to a 11" bell housing in a mo or so, but really need a starter now.

Will the diagonal bolt starter fit my 10" bell housing provided my block is tapped for both starters? What are the chances of my bell housing being tapped for both? It is a late 60's 327 or 350 (not really sure and don't care since the motor swap was intended since I got this car last fall).

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Nope. Different sized bellhousings require different starters and different flywheels. An aftermarket mini-starter with a dual pattern might work for both setups but the factory nose cones are different. The flywheels must be changed either way.

-Mark.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The small bellhousing is not wide enough to accomodate the diagonal-bolt starter. The new housing will have a kickout where the starter goes. You might try changing out the starter drive housings if it's a regular GM starter. Sometimes the same motor/solenoid will work with either one.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I thought about getting another one and changing the front housing, but I really want to goto a mini starter for the 11" bellhousing.

It still turns over most of the time. if I run in to problems I'll just have to push start it. I'll keep parking near inclines.

thanks for the input

1 - 4 of 4 Posts