Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me what the facts of the smog equipent is, like Did all 69 camaros have it, if not which ones did and which didn't, was it certain engines, dates, models?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
All domestic 69 Camaros had Air Injector Reactor (AIR) equipment. There was some discussion a year or two ago that possibly some automatics did not have AIR, but there was no documentation of that, and the final concensus was that all Camaros had AIR. I seem to remember that one of the Chevelle automatics did not have smog. I want to think it was the 396/375 L78.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
The vin won't tell you if it's a BB or SB on a 1st gen. So... If you are ever sent to the smog ref or they start smog inspections on our old cars the ones doing the visual portion will be provided refrence material and what ever it says is what you will have to have!! :eek: Where their refrence material comes from and if it's factual leaves an uneasy feeling in my gut...

Your car with the transplanted BB will have to have a smog pump to get past the visual and if you use the arguement it was a SB powerglide from the factory then visual would also fail as it's not the proper engine...

We need to stay up on what's going on and keep writing the law makers letting them know we are out there...

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
At this point those of us in CA are fortunate we don't have a visual or required smog check on our old vehicles. It seems though that some of our govt officials feel cracking down on a 1/2 million old cars driven mostly on weekends is going to solve some of our states polution problems. That may sound like a lot of cars but when you compare it to the 20+ million in the state that get driven every day here you can see the old cars are a drop in the bucket...

Every year someone seems to take a stab at smogging old cars and so far it hasn't happened. There is good cause for us to worry though, we may defeat SB708 this year but you never know what next year will bring...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Missouri requires a biennial safety inspection for vehicles being registered. A "visual" inspection of smog/pollution related equipment is only required on 1968 and later model vehicles for safety only inspections. This means the inspector just looks for the required equipment and makes sure it is installed and hooked up.

If the vehicle is registered to operate in St. Louis City, St. Louis County, St. Charles County, Franklin County, or Jefferson County, the vehicle is subject to an emissions inspection as well and this is administered by the Department of Natural Resources. But, this is only for vehicles 1971 and newer with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 8500 pounds.

The way most people get around this is to register the vehicle with Historic plates. These vehicles are exempt from any inspections.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts