Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 84 Camaro, with a stock 305 4 barrel feedback carb. I read on your board about removing the smog pump belt and tried it. It does seem to increase throttle response, but are there any side effects I should be aware of, like shorter cat converter lifespan, etc? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my dad has always removed the smog pump on everything he has owned. i did that with my 83 camaro, then again on my 83 camaro i disconected the computer and removed the cat converter. but my dad hasnt had problems with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would you go about removing the computer and would you have to replace the distributor/ignition to do it? I'm interested in going with a high performance carb, but not sure how to work around the computer or what the computer actually controls on the car. I'm in a state that requires all the emmision controls also, annual inspections.

·
Registered
73 Posts
its pretty simple to remove the comp. you will need a new distributer, a new carb and if you have an auto trans, you will need to get an item to make the converter lock up

·
Registered
503 Posts
The pump bearings will sieze after about 6 months or so if you dont keep it hooked up. If you dont have to worry about smog checks or other stuff like that you should be fine runnig with out the belt. But if you have to smog the car youll end up buying a new pump every time it comes up for a smog.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

1 - 5 of 5 Posts