Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
If its within your budget check out the "Big Green Egg". It is a ceramic cooker. The ceramic acts like an insulator which allows you to do long cooks on a single load of lump charcoal which is the best fuel to use because there are no added by-products that alter the taste. With the big green egg you can sear cook at 700- 1000 degrees or slow cook at 200 degrees. I have cooked pizza, beer can chicken, whole turkey, ribs, pork butt and steak. There really is nothing like it. just google it and you will see there is a huge following. Also check out the website "the naked wiz"

Manny

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
If its within your budget check out the "Big Green Egg". It is a ceramic cooker. The ceramic acts like an insulator which allows you to do long cooks on a single load of lump charcoal which is the best fuel to use because there are no added by-products that alter the taste. With the big green egg you can sear cook at 700- 1000 degrees or slow cook at 200 degrees. I have cooked pizza, beer can chicken, whole turkey, ribs, pork butt and steak. There really is nothing like it. just google it and you will see there is a huge following. Also check out the website "the naked wiz"

Manny
Ya, Manny did do a long long look at the"BG Egg", but the price of it wasn't in the cards...as usual, other wifey priorities and teeth stuff took the field, eh?

I've heard good things about this mutli-use unit, even if it looks like an alien standing on yer deck!:D

There's a cheaper one on the market, a "Coleman", I think? It's about $200 or so less, and looks along the same design/construction.

I know the Japanese have been using this ceramic type of grill/smoker for years.

When the Weber BBQ starts to show it's age, which may take some time, as the thing really weathers well in use, I may go for an eggy type on the deck.

Again, thanks for the feed back.:thumbsup:

capt

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The zombie threads run wild in the new format.

Personally I’m a Green Egg fan.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,800 Posts
We are being invaded!

Reactions: DjD

·
Registered
115 Posts
I read all the threads and maybe I missed something, but no one suggested to build your own. This is one that I built from plate steel. Valve cover wing bolt latches, wrench handles, piston shifter damper control, and big rig smoke stack. It only took about 4-5 days to build. Would've been sooner, but I was building it over free time and beers with a friend. Granted my friend is a welder and has all the tools to roll plate steel etc, but it can be made out of existing materials.

I use charcoal for heat and to get/keep fire lit. And use split wood for heat maintenance and flavor. I smoked a rosemary, garlic and butter injected primed rib roast this Xmas. It blew everyone away, including me. I've smoked the best ribs I've ever had on this thing. I have even cured and smoked my own bacon.

Pros:
I would put the flavor up against any "off the shelf" device out there
I built it myself (bragging rights)
Cheaper/stronger than off the shelf
Teaching tool and more leeway to experiment
Custom Design

Cons:
Got to learn how to drive it. (i'm not a pro builder and each smoker has its own character)
Have to maintain firebox (not set and forget) but it's makes the meal more personal

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,800 Posts
"Indoor Smoker".....Normally that is a double negative, like those two words just don't go together, lol....
B...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. But, they do make them. Although, IMO the better ones are made for outside.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I didn't see any info on indoor smokers...
They're like stove top cookers. You can find an upright if you look hard enough, but most are stove top that you add some would dust to the bottom. Like the DEMEYERE RESTO STOVETOP SMOKER or Cameron's Indoor/Outdoor Stainless Steel Smoker. Not "real" smokers. There are the electric ones that might work in your garage or something.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts