Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know enough about automobile repair to be dangerous to my wallet.
I have a 1986 Camaro that is a very nice car with muscle under the hood. There is no problem with the engine at all, but it rides really rough. I would equate it with being 1976 in a gocart, out in the cow pasture.
Just seems to bottom out. I can feel every bump in the road. I know I need to do some work on the front end. I just recently replaced sway bars at local chevy dealership. That was expensive!
I'm thinking new springs and air shocks, what should it cost me parts and labor?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
first off, skip the air shocks.. it's not 1975 anymore.
those cars are known to ride rough- especially if it's a Z28 and you are used to Caddilacs or old Caprices with worn out suspensions.
get under there and make sure nothing is worn out- if anything moves more than just a little bit, it needs to be replaced. it's also possible that the shocks and struts are just toast.
the best advice i can give is to become friends with someone local that knows cars, and learn from them. learning to do this stuff yourself will keep you from spending $$$ at the stealership that you don't need to spend.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I know enough about automobile repair to be dangerous to my wallet.
I have a 1986 Camaro that is a very nice car with muscle under the hood. There is no problem with the engine at all, but it rides really rough. I would equate it with being 1976 in a gocart, out in the cow pasture.
Just seems to bottom out. I can feel every bump in the road. I know I need to do some work on the front end. I just recently replaced sway bars at local chevy dealership. That was expensive!
I'm thinking new springs and air shocks, what should it cost me parts and labor?
Tires with a low profile sidewall will transfer every bump in the road.If you run this type of wheel/tire combo..it will ride rough.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Good Lord, our old cars sure don't ride THAT BAD!!

Please go back to 100 percent lo-po stock, tires included and it will be fine just like new back then..

It's only the optional, h-d suspensioned cars that ride rough, imho.

Those w/ the short sidewall wide tires...........

pdq67

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
short sidewalls don't have to mean you get a rough ride. the right springs and shocks will go a long ways towards making a car ride smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts