Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am finally getting around to test fitting the firewall fill plate from Mike's Custom Cars. He offers a fill plate for the passenger and driver side, with or without the holes for the blower or wiper motors. For the passsenger side, I ordered the plate which has a raised step. It looks similar to the factory seam, but cleaner.

If you look at the last pic you can see where the previous owner(s) beat the he$$ out of the firewall. I should not be able to get socket between the firewall and fill plate. I will post more pics as things progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the plate. Are you going to cut the old firewall out and flush weld the new plate. That would be a lot of work but you would not have the gap between the 2 panels. Let me know how it works out as I have smoothed a few camaro firewalls. Good Luck
I will be cutting out a portion of the firewall on the passenger side. I will post more pics as things progress.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey rocketrod - please keep the pics coming. I bought the (no raised step) passenger side piece from Mike (top guy!). I didn't even think to ask if he had a piece for the drivers side (maybe he didn't back when I bough this piece). So now I'm going to ask him about it since I decided the other day to loose the wiper mount in favor of a hidden one. Keep us posted on your progress.

G

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well what did you pay for it?

It looks like something you could just trace out onto another piece of sheet metal (or paper and send to me, ''hint hint" "wink wink"know what I mean?:rolleyes: )and make a back up copy just in case you mess up the one you bought.

Just my .02$....................007

PS:it looks like something a person can fabricate if they just had a measuring tape, some sheet metal, and some common sense.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Do you guys all live in AZ or souther Cal? Here in CO if I get rid of the heater I might as well park my ride from October until April.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what did you pay for it?

It looks like something you could just trace out onto another piece of sheet metal (or paper and send to me, ''hint hint" "wink wink"know what I mean?:rolleyes: )and make a back up copy just in case you mess up the one you bought.

Just my .02$....................007

PS:it looks like something a person can fabricate if they just had a measuring tape, some sheet metal, and some common sense.
I will be making a copy in case I do this again sometime. I could have made one, but he offered the passenger side panel for $85 with a raised step, something most of us couldn't do without some special tools.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I doubt he removed his heater core, instead I figure he got something like a Vintage Air air conditioning unit that is all self contained with the heater core in it and then all he has to do is drill some holes in his firewall for the hoses to pass through. At least that is what I'm planning on doing with mine............................007

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ya true, but its good to at least have a few copies of it flat....................007

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Progress Update

Well I have finally got a chance to work on the car some more and thought I would post some pics. As you can see I have since removed the subframe, windshield, interior, wiring etc. The car is pretty solid, but I will be welding in some metal in a few areas and replacing the upper dash panel. The previous owner removed all the rust around the dash and then packed it with fiberglass :mad:. Oh well nothing a "little more $$" and time can't fix.

One question concerning the upper dash replacement is transferring the vin tag to the new dash. Legally is there anything I should be concerned about, or can I just remove the tag and install it on the new dash? The car is far from original and was just a plane jane Camaro (yes they did make a few Camaros that weren't Z-28's, RS/SS, Yenko's, etc).

I am hoping to have the firewall and dash painted by end of August and start reassembling the car, but we will see how it goes... I'll keep posting pics as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought I would post of couple progress pics. I am currently putting the finishing touches on smoothing the firewall, then onto replacing the upper dash panel :mad: and I will then be ready for paint. :D

I also dropped off the inner fenderwells and other front end parts to have them powdercoated and will be taking the subframe in soon!!:hurray:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice work Rod. I've been debating whether or not to smooth my firewall. After seeing this I just might go ahead with it. After all the other work I'm doing I might as well do this also.

Looks good. Stay busy and get it done.:beers:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I got to spend a few hours today working on the car and decided to replace the upper dash panel!! I used the import version with the EPD coating. The overall fit was okay, but as with most parts they need to be massaged into shape to fit.

After several test fits, I marked some reference points and cut out the old panel :( . I lined up the new panel (which took a while), then tack welded in the new one :yes:. I then test fit the dash insert, glove box door and dash pad to ensure everything lined up before welding some more. Overall the not a bad job, but it can be a little unnerving when you cutout the old panel.

I need to finish welding/grinding tomorrow and them I can start prepping the firewall and cowl and under dash area for paint. I am also dropping off the subfram at the powdercoater this week and picking up my inner fenderwells and other pieces I dropped off a few weeks ago. Hopefully before October I can have the sub back on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts