Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to take it to the body shop so the shop supervisor could give it a class A inspection before taking it in. When I got it started it idled fine. When I started to drive it, it started sputtering like crazy and with the gas pedal to the floor it's top speed was no more than about 15 mph. Gradually it would start picking up speed and only after a few city blocks would it kick in and start running normal :( . I called my mechanic that built this new engine for me and told him about it, and he's supposed to be coming over to take a look at it tomorrow. From the symptoms I described, what do you think the trouble could be.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i would be thinking fuel restriction or your timing advance wieghts are sticking. Did it only do this once? or does after cool down does it take awhile to run normal again? My car use to have a bad vacuum leak that would cause it to run horrible until it warmed up. If yours only did it once and then cleared up that could mean different things.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Each time I stopped it, be it a red light or a stop sign, every time I tried taking off again, the same thing kept happening.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well man, Im sure someone will chime in with some good advice but Ive always went after the fuel and timing first. You have HEI? pull the cap and rotor and check the wieghts and springs. You have a holley? maybe the power valve is bad and your loading up the motor. Check the basics first and go from there, most of the problems Ive had with my camaro have ended up being more obvious than I first thought.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have both

HEI Distributor and Holley 650 cfm 4 bbl carb.

·
Super Moderator
32,523 Posts
Sticky choke plate, or not adjusted for cold weather conditions, too lean.

Loosen the three cap screws holding the choke spring, the black cap, rotate towards RICH about three notches (see cap for instructions), tighten screws. Try again next AM.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Garfield,
It is cold down here, so I know it is cold up there. Did you let her warm up before heading out?
Chris

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
does it smell like gas and billow black smoke out the pipes?

I had a similar problem and it had me scratching my head... then one day I popped the hood in time to see that the fuel pump has gas leaking out of it! Other times I guess the gas had evaporated off before I could see it. Replaced the pump and suddenly all was well.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well..the plugs were all wet and dirty. Its also spitting out black/blue smoke from the pipes. I know now that the wet plugs were the cause of its poor performance and will be replaced with brand new hot plugs, now I have to find what cause the plugs to become wet.

Originally posted by DjD:
Check for dirt in the needle and seat and float bowls that need adjusting....
That will be next!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sticky chock or sticky float.if you don't fix the problem it will cabron the new plugs too so first find what is doing with the old plugs fix it then put the new plugs in.Nick

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by MRCOOL_RSSS350:
Sticky chock or sticky float.if you don't fix the problem it will cabron the new plugs too so first find what is doing with the old plugs fix it then put the new plugs in.Nick
Right! I will follow both your and DjD's suggestion as soon as I can get back to it!

Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
How long has it been on the same tank of fuel?? Condensation in fuel maybe?? Dirty fuel filter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts