Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I have been working on a 1969 SS Conv since August and it has been an adventure. You can view the experience at http://picasaweb.google.com/erics69camaro

It came with a running 427 with small Holly carb, but ran strong. The engine is being rebuilt, 30-over bored, balanced and blueprinted, new Edlebrock top-down (heads, intake & cam) and should deliver 500+ horses. Can't wait!

I am approaching decisions that are out of my realm, and will be seeking good advice. I thank you all in advance for your support.

Camaro is now my life. Enjoy the pics.

Eric

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Eric (cool name), ask away. Just be carefull when you ask for "opinions" you may get more than you wanted. In all seriousness, this is a great place for information, and the price is right too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric, (I agree-cool name), thanks for the quick reply. I am at the time where I need to make the decision on the trans and rear. The car came with a muncie 4 speed and a 10-bolt 4.10 open diff rear. I have been salavating over the tremec TKO5 and 6's and a Moser 12-bolt bolt-in for camaro's. Lots of $$ though. So tell me, how good is that trans of yours or should I invest in the Moser?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I LOVE the trans! I picked the road race version because at 2,000rpm the cam has not cleared out on my motor and it makes roughly the same rpm drop in all gear changes. With the steeper overdrive the drop from fourth to fifth is much bigger than the drop from third to fourth, so it's a more even shift. If you want to go for it be sure to check out the guys at Classic Chevy Five Speed, they are great! A five speed would mean that with your 4.10 gears you could still use your car for a few road trips.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hello welcome from OHIO keep up the good work.:yes:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome Eric to the Team! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Welcome!

Don't salivate over the TKO, do it ;) Unless you plan on running a sticky, wide tire out back, you may want to save your money and buy/build an 8.5-inch 10-bolt. Nearly as strong, half the price. I did it that way to rationalize dropping the cash on the TKO....

Even though it's been mild, I see a snowball coming here. Next Hotchkis X-brace (to clear an exhaust to let the BB breathe) and Hotchkis subframe connectors (500 HP in a vert). Those are on the way for mine. And the list goes on...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Working on purchasing a rear suspension now and will definitely include the subframe connectors!!

Thanks for the reminder.

Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I caved-in and ordered the 12-bolt posi rear from Moser(3.73) today. So I guess I have to mortage the house and go for the TKO600. Is there a loan officer around???:D

Can anyone advise from whom I should order it from (the TKO)

Thanks again, and I am accepting donations!

Eric

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
look for the classic chevy 5 speed banner at the top of a page here. Jeff and Jim are long time mmebers, and recent site sponsors. They have ALWAYS taken the best possible care of us here, regardless of profit.

I'd never have gotten mine done without them, and I bought the trans used and it wasn't one of theirs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Evertt, coincidentally, I had the exact same M-3 (as seen in your picture link) and recently sold it last year on E-Bay. It was a 2003, same color scheme, same wheels and I loved it. I purchased it out of my lease, then sold it and made a few bucks. Whew! That's were the camaro purchase originated from. I wonder if I made a big maistake. Ha ha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yea, I forgot to metion that I was only 10 years old, or would you believe a very young looking, handsom man for my age! My son thanks you in advance!!

Eric

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Evertt, coincidentally, I had the exact same M-3 (as seen in your picture link) and recently sold it last year on E-Bay. I wonder if I made a big maistake. Ha ha.
Of course you made a mistake. I enjoy my Go-to-work car everyday. Sound like I'm biased? But then, what better way to bond with your son. You're making memories with him he'll remember for life. Shoot, he's probably thinking of driving the vert on prom night in high school.

But, everybody's thoughts are different, to each their own, then we die. Enjoy life while you're here, whatever route you chose. I chose this one, I have a smile every day........honestly, the M3 is a family vehicle, wife does like it, alot, so her decision was also in the mix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everett, Thank you for your sincere reply. Your right about my son's thoughts and memories, which are of great value to me. I concur, life is short, so live it now. Also, my M was an everyday smilely car and most enjoyable. Maybe I will grow up and go for an M-5. Nice!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts