Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I Recently purchased a 69 RS Camaro that from what I can determine so far appears to be a LM1 car. Really don't matter to me
because it's a decent old car with all the right goodies and I like it.
Car is Loaded!

But lets say it is a true LM1 optioned car and I dont have the original engine what is it worth in NOM condition?

The old car is solid but less engine, But I do have a CE 396/375 engine that is date coded for a 69. Do I search for a NOM or do I slap the 396 in it and enjoy?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, JimmyC

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Guys an LM1 is basically a 2 barrel engine with a QJ. There were 10,000 built; really nothing special.
Huh?

All LM1's are 4 barrel cars. They are at least as special as SS 350's, well, at least GM thought so. The base tranny was the 3 spd muncie, not the saginaw (as in other base manuals), they mostly got 12 bolts (like the ss's) and multi's. They even got the "chrome" air cleaner lids that the SS's got. Many had dog dish/poverty rims, giving the car a "sleeper" stance. Yes, the HP rating was only 255, but everything else about the car was HiPo.

Rich

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Jimmy, without the orig motor, you really can't tell. Does it have the original 12 bolt? Multi's? Power Disc, Power Drum or Drum brakes? Prop valve under the door? Gauges?

In the end, w/o the motor, just drop that BB in and have fun!

Rich

Hi Guys, I Recently purchased a 69 RS Camaro that from what I can determine so far appears to be a LM1 car. Really don't matter to me
because it's a decent old car with all the right goodies and I like it.
Car is Loaded!

But lets say it is a true LM1 optioned car and I dont have the original engine what is it worth in NOM condition?

The old car is solid but less engine, But I do have a CE 396/375 engine that is date coded for a 69. Do I search for a NOM or do I slap the 396 in it and enjoy?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, JimmyC

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rich, Yes to all. Car has P/S, PDB, A/C, factory gauge package with tach.
4 Speed, 12 bolt multi leaf, and the prop. valve. Also has tilt wheel and cruise control. Hey! Worst case scenario it'll make a dandy Friday night crusier. As for the numbers built 10,000 or so is about half the numbers of the1969 Z28's built. And man you gotta love that A/C and cruise? I ain't no spring chicken any more and I've kind of grown to appreciate those creature comforts.
Thanks to all you guys for giving me your thoughts, ideas and suggestions.
JimmyC

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Jimmy, you can put in the engine you have and then give your VIN for the car to Kurt and other's data bases and see if the original turns up like a lot of us are doing. Also, you can reach Kurt on CRG.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Rich I think you misread Willams comment, it is a 2-barrel ENGINE with a QJ (4barrel) on it... meaning the same engine as the standard 2barrel carb was put on but instead they put the QJ on it for a little more power :) Kinda like Tomatoe or Tomato :)

Jimmy, if it has cruise control, that was most likely put on at the dealership. Im pretty sure it was not a factory option. someone correct me but thats my feeble mind at work. :)

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Ok still missing the point. Is'nt a a SS350 still a 2 barrel engine with a 4 barrel (and hotter heads)? Then a Z28 would just be 2 barrel engine, with heads, cam etc etc........

LM1's ALL came with 4 barrels. The base products on the car were HiPo, 12 bolt rears and Muncie only transmissions. Only the HiPo cars got the muncie's as the base transmission (If I remember correctly).

Why confuse the situation and say it's a 2 barrel car with a 4 barrel???????

Just my .02! You guy's know I am a LM1 fan and I don't think they get the respect that they deserve........

:)

Friends,

Rich

Rich I think you misread Willams comment, it is a 2-barrel ENGINE with a QJ (4barrel) on it... meaning the same engine as the standard 2barrel carb was put on but instead they put the QJ on it for a little more power :) Kinda like Tomatoe or Tomato :)

Jimmy, if it has cruise control, that was most likely put on at the dealership. Im pretty sure it was not a factory option. someone correct me but thats my feeble mind at work. :)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The LM1 was a low-compression engine with a QJ carb; 5 more HP than a 2 bbl. A friends' dealership had 2; neither had disc brakes or dual exhaust. Both were automatics with 2:56 axles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; to me they are over-hyped and are nothing special.

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
The LM1 was a low-compression engine with a QJ carb; 5 more HP than a 2 bbl. A friends' dealership had 2; neither had disc brakes or dual exhaust. Both were automatics with 2:56 axles.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; to me they are over-hyped and are nothing special.

Not to be difficult, just asking:

OK, What about the 67-8 L30/M20? Is it "special" and why/why not?

Why did the LM1 get the muncie as the base as opposed to the saginaw?

Did'nt some SS350's (autos) come with 10 bolts? Powerglides? Would this car be considered "special"?

Obviouly different guys have different ideas of what they like. Some argue strictly HP rating's (like the LM1 argument). I think that, again, most LM1's were ordered with nice options. I agree that the HP rating was not all that much.

BUT, the 69 Z was only rated at 290hp. The 69 SS350 was rated at 300hp. While the 70 Z is rated at 360hp! Compaired to the 70Z, the 69Z was a turd HP wise. BUT, all of the other options on the 69Z make it as a total package
better (mo specaial) than the 69 SS?

Whew! mouthful. Any insight helpful.......

Rich

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had 1 now 1 of my friends owns it. Daytona yellow RS, th350, 12 bolt posi w/2:56's, 4bbl, chrome breather top, q-jet, valve on subframe, w/POP too.
This 1 has manual drum brakes and power steering, houndstooth, cool!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
OK, What about the 67-8 L30/M20? Is it "special" and why/why not?
It is special to me, but mostly because I restored the car. To most everyone else the only reason that my car is "special" is because it is a red four speed ragtop. The L30/M20 option doesn't really add to it's value as far as I'm concerned. Who knows though, maybe someday someone will think that my car is special or worth more because it's an L30/M20.....I doubt it though, it's just a nice, clean, red 67 convertible to most.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro
264 Posts
Once the original engine is gone, put whatever makes you happy
in it. Not everyone is all about the numbers anyway. Sure a matching
DZ 302 in a Z, or 396 in a SS, would make them worth a lot more, but in most cases, without original engine, make it what you want.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gee Guys, I didn't realize I would open such a can of worms with this question! But so far all the response has been very insightful and interesting.

Personally I love all the old Camaro's I own 3 currently in various stages of reassembly or disassembly, If I had to choose just one it would be the 69 L78 car. I and Don't even own one of those. They are all kind of like our kids, One may be better at somethings than others. But we love em all the same.

Thanks, Team Camaro and all who have responded.
JimmyC

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Hey Paul! I think your car is "special" :)

There all great. Heck, even a 6 banger is still a Camaro. Even a Yenko is just a COPO w/ dealer added "bling" when you get down to it.

Bottom line Jimmy, like everyone says, put what you want into it and enjoy it.

Rich

It is special to me, but mostly because I restored the car. To most everyone else the only reason that my car is "special" is because it is a red four speed ragtop. The L30/M20 option doesn't really add to it's value as far as I'm concerned. Who knows though, maybe someday someone will think that my car is special or worth more because it's an L30/M20.....I doubt it though, it's just a nice, clean, red 67 convertible to most.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BUT, the 69 Z was only rated at 290hp. The 69 SS350 was rated at 300hp. While the 70 Z is rated at 360hp! Compaired to the 70Z, the 69Z was a turd HP wise. BUT, all of the other options on the 69Z make it as a total package
better (mo specaial) than the 69 SS?

Whew! mouthful. Any insight helpful.......

Rich
The HP numbers for some of the cars that time period is wrong.
The power is way more:)

I have heard about 400hp for 69 Z.
400 for the BOSS 302
500-600 for the hemi cars
and about the same for the Yenko
and so on and so on.
But i´m not an expert that is just what i have heard and read in books and papers:) .... not facts

But if i´m way of crusing now please tell me and correct it:thumbsup:

Mvh Peter

1 - 20 of 27 Posts