Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally upgraded my membership and with some poking from others decided to create my build thread. I think I waited long enough since its almost completely apart already. heh.

My plan is a pro-touring LS3 type completely reworked from the ground up. Haven't decided on tranny, color, etc yet but know I want a 'new' car when it's done. While the car is an original V8 RS vert it's not the original motor so it's a great platform to start with I think. Someone did a bad cosmetic resto about 10 years ago on it.

It's been 25 years since I did my 67 L30 Convertible but it's funny how well I remember how these cars are put together.

Here's the before pictures...

Attachments

·
13,872 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Nice find. If you don't mind me asking, did the previous owner but 67 doors on the car? Just curious of the wing windows with the side markers.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice find. If you don't mind me asking, did the previous owner but 67 doors on the car? Just curious of the wing windows with the side markers.
Yep he did.. haven't posted those picks yet but yea he had 67 doors on a 68. How did he do that you asked since it has different hinges? He used 68 door hinges and connected them to the door with one (1) bolt per hinge and then tac welded the other side of the hinge to the door metal. Was just horrible, had to rip the tacs off. Already bought a pair of 68 doors to replace them.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few more pics of the process and family.

This is my son and daughter enjoying the car before tear down.

Here you can see the horrible weld job of rear quarter patches. Its like this all around on both sides.

Trunk will need a pan...

And here's close up the welded hinge ripped off the 67 door. Sad.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome Rob! There are plenty of guys around with expertise in the Pro-touring/ RestoMod area... Like the forum says," Today's performance with classic style!"
Beautiful car man. Well done.
Thanks Rob! Best "iteration" of a 20 yr ownership that I did! I can now enjoy the car cruising at 90 MPH with no issues! I just need to update the original bucket seats...

TC

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This was a day I won't forget. Had 3 generations from my family on fathers day working on the car. My dad taught me how to work on cars (and just about everything else). My crown jewel after flipping 5 cars (all camaros) in my teens was my 67 original L30 Convertible. Never should have sold it. But now I have a new one. ;)

My nephew and son (little one).

My dad and daughter removing the tail lamps. :)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time to pull the engine...

Still think it looks like it was shot and bleeding out. heh

When I bought it the guy said it was a non-original 327. After pulling it and finally seeing the casting numbers that were covered up by the throttle linkage it turns out it a Chevy Crate 350 motor from the 70/80s that was made in Mexico. Selling it to make some cash now. BTW who puts a 2 barrel on a 350? Would sufficate the poor thing.

And she's out! That was fun to do by myself. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rust pics... or I should say the rust I can see pics... as the previous owner did some crappy things to cover up rust in its last cosmetic only make over. Grrr. :mad:

Trunk pan...

Notice the tin and putty used to cover this rust spot. I just shoved my screw driver through it. Still trunk pan.

Large piece of tin and putty I just yanked off. Who does crap like this? Still trunk pan.

Trunk area. I think this can be patched not sure (not a body guy).

Floor board rear.

Near right windshield pillar.

Left rocker.

Right rocker.

Not seen this before. It's like a chunk rusted out. Probably find more in there too.

Overall not to bad but we'll see after it's blasted. Those crappy "fixes" they did with tin have me worried. I see more of those painted putty spots on the floor boards too. Pretty certain I'll need L and R floor patches, trunk pan, not sure about rockers or other spots.

Ok I'm all caught up now. This is how she sits today. Time to get busy and remove the rest and then get it blasted. :beers:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've gone as far as I can. I left the rear end on so I could still roll it onto a trailer to take it to a body shop. Sad part is I still haven't selected a place to send it. Have been emailing with Bowdens in San Diego. That's the most likely right now. Drop me a PM if you know of a good shop in the SoCal area.

While its gone getting blasted and patched up I'll be cleaning and painting all the smaller parts. I'm somewhat dreading doing the convertible top frame. Not sure why. heh.

Few last pics before the fun really starts.

Finished removing the gas tank, brake and fuel lines, and backup lamps today. It was quite a messy task.

Yay! All done with the tear down. :hurray:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts