Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me make a decision here? I'm looking at the Competition Engineering solid bushings (aluminun body and leaf springs) at half the cost of the Global West pieces. I know you get what you pay for, but here are my thoughts:
Interlocking bushings for the body should not be required-I can see why they are needed in rubber/poly applications for absorbing up and down movement of the subframe in relation to the body which won't happen with solid bushings.....

As long as a large washer is used under the bolt head, the CE design seems that it should work fine AND they register in the s/f mounting hole so that's not an issue

I know the Global West leaf bushings come with Delrin inserts and shackles, but I can re-use my shackles and there is a local plastics company that carries Delrin so I could add that myself if it turns out to be needed. What difference will it make that the GW units are anodized?

In a nutshell, I want quality at a decent price ! Like I said, I know you get what you pay for but spending more doesn't necessarily mean you're getting something better. Let me hear some thoughts......

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Super Moderator
32,895 Posts
I 've ran CE bushings for 12 years and have had no problems.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everett, thanks for the response. You've had the same bushings for 12 years? Subframe or leaf springs or both? If leaf springs, notice any binding etc on the street? Thanks again.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have been using the aluminum shackle bushings along with the bolt-in subframe connectors from C/E and have not heard any strange noises for the six months that I have been using them.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and save some $$ by buying the CE stuff. I have GW's front control arm bushings, but I think I'll be fine using the CE bushings on the rest of the car. Thanks again.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Super Moderator
32,895 Posts
I also run the front eye spring bushings, I greased the bejesus out them at install.

I have OEM rear shackle bushings. One could have the rear spring front eye bolt drilled and tapped for a grease fitting.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts