Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a 2000 LS1 in my Camaro. The LS1 blocks are made out of aluminum and I put Moroso solid mounts on it. A buddy of mine said he used to have a Donovan alum. block and he had solid mounts on it and he cracked the block where the mounts are attached. Should I change mine??

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Is this a street car? if it is loose the solid mounts. The vibration will drive you nuts. I would be more worried about ripping the threads out of the block than it cracking. I haven't ever looked at the new block so I can't say if they made the threads deeper or something to help with the pulling problem but I bet they did.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea this is a street car. A stout street car!! Right now it's making about 425 hp at the rear wheels. I got tired of replacing the stock mounts so I went to the steel. Got a few more parts waiting to go on and then it's back to the dyno. I know there's polyurethane for the older small blocks but I haven't found anything for the LS1.

·
Registered
965 Posts
what about a torque strap with stock mounts ?
solids will shake the car. I'm the one to talk, i have them for my car, but i don't plan on driving it as much as i do racing it.
bruce

·
Super Moderator
32,605 Posts
Usually one will replace only the drvr side pad with a solid mount. Were the threaded holes Helicoil'd or just threaded into alum? I personally would have Helicoil'd them.

Bruce suggested a strap, they work fine, I use a 3/8 inch dia turnbuckle.

At some point of the horsepower application, a motor plate comes into mind, with a locating rod bolted to the exixsting eng monut holes and the front crossmember to prevent front-to-back movement of eng-to-frame.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts