·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1969 Camaro
AC car
Saginaw power steering box
350 car

My car currently has hooker super comps that aren't coated and the headers put off a ton heat sometimes causing me issues with starter heat soak,
so im thinking of eventually replacing them.
going to do the remote solenoid next but Id like to reduce the heat anyway in the future when I can afford it.

after reading quite a few threads of praise i'm thinking of going with ceramic coated dynatechs or a maybe a coated set of Hooker super comps .

My hookers hang kind of low im curious if the dynatechs have the same issue ? as Id like to lower the car at some point

Any opinions on header options other than dynatechs and hookers ?

thnx in advance

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I know people like the fit of the Dougs headers.

I don't think my dynatechs could tuck up any better without interfering with the trans crossmember. They use the ball and socket collector flange,allowing you to clock them so you don't have a bolt hole hanging down.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be concerned about clearance at the A/C suitcase, that is usually a problem.

With Dynatech ? I run the hookers now fits good other than hanging low
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you considered having your current headers ceramic coated? If they're in good enough shape it would be cheaper. I can get headers coated where I live for about $225.00. Definitely won't have to worry about fitment.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you considered having your current headers ceramic coated? If they're in good enough shape it would be cheaper. I can get headers coated where I live for about $225.00. Definitely won't have to worry about fitment.

I have but they are banged up a bit
Would have been great to save some $$
Thx for the suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Seems some have problems fitting headers others don't ,probably due to the many different configurations in our cars. When you have a camaro with A/C and headers, the pipes on cyl 6 & 8 need to turn sharply to clear the suitcase. Heres a thread with some pics http://www.camaros.net/forums/18-en...ctory-ac-w-dynatech-1-7-8-pimary-headers.html
It would be good if Kelly had posted in the above thread what she ended up doing. Plenty with A/C have had no issues with Dynatech and others but every now and then one comes along that has issues.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you have a driver. I can suggest Thorley TriY 376-Y-1-c or Dougs D368, But first why don't you invest in a starter heat blanket?Thermo Tec Aluminized Starter Heat Shield | JEGS High Performance

Whole lot cheaper.
have a heat blanket
did the hi torque mini starter from db electric too replaced my positive cable
still has the issues but only now after sitting running for a long time other wise its fine but before after the car was driven it was dead for 30 to 40 min, now after 10 min it starts
im going to do the remote solenoid next and eventually headers anyway. My hookers give off so much heat uncoated

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
My 69 sits very low and header clearance was an issue, as well as steering box clearance. I ended up running Sanderson CC16 ceramic coated shorties. Install was simple, they just fell into place. Only draw back is they are a 2 1/2 inch collector. Very well built.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
How huge a performance difference from shortys to full length headers ?
There is a performance difference, Google the topic and read up on it. In general I'd say shorties are better than stock cast iron manifolds, long tube are better than shorties and equal length tuned long tube are the best and most expensive and overkill for anything except all out racing.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
My car has Hotchkis 3" lowering springs front and back. The lowest parts are the bellhousing and crossmember at about 2.5" off the ground,
the dynatech header flange is about 3".

You can see they tuck up pretty good.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
A lot of guys run headers and don't have starter problems, myself included. I'm not sure if heat eventually creates the problem or just old age of the starter or, low quality reman. I remember reading posts from Steptoe here about this issue, he seems to know what and why about heat soak issues.

Maybe do a search here for user Steptoe and find his posts on the subject before a solenoid relocation project.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Sounds like you're running an old set of uncoated Hooker 2451, that were noted for one side hanging down.
Your problem sounded like mine with the starter solenoid internal slider piston sticking on the sleeve that hung on the large teflon seperator inside the solenoid. After finding the right solenoid , I have been trouble free.
In addition to correcting that problem, I left the heat blanket . I have since used D368 headers. I still run my cast iron nose delco starter.

From what you said earlier , that you still had the problem, I just wondered if you had a timing or compression issue.
I don't think any coated header will correct your problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts