Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through lots of discussions in the archives on replacing with a-arm tubular kits vs rebuilding my front suspension I decided on rebuilding using the existing control arms, delrin bushings, proforged ball joints, including the .5" taller top ball joint, Eaton springs and Bilstein shocks. However, I just got the lower arm out and it looks like this:

Wood Metal Auto part Visual arts Natural material

Someone clearly enlarged the lower spring pocket and I suspect it was to fit in the giant 'Bruiser Gas XD' shocks that came out:

Writing implement Office supplies Line Cylinder Gas

It seems unwise to put these lower arms back in. But if it's really not a problem let me know.

If I have to buy new lower arms anyway, is it worth backtracking and reconsidering a full tubular kit? Is picking up just tubular lowers a good idea? Is there a good source of quality stamped steel arms?

Thanks for any advice or recommendations. If there are brands of a-arms to avoid that would be good to know too.

Kris

·
Premium Member
6,276 Posts
Those arms are fine imho. The shock isn’t supporting the vehicle.

Don

·
Registered
880 Posts
After reading through lots of discussions in the archives on replacing with a-arm tubular kits vs rebuilding my front suspension I decided on rebuilding using the existing control arms, delrin bushings, proforged ball joints, including the .5" taller top ball joint, Eaton springs and Bilstein shocks. However, I just got the lower arm out and it looks like this:

View attachment 293776

Someone clearly enlarged the lower spring pocket and I suspect it was to fit in the giant 'Bruiser Gas XD' shocks that came out:

View attachment 293775

It seems unwise to put these lower arms back in. But if it's really not a problem let me know.

If I have to buy new lower arms anyway, is it worth backtracking and reconsidering a full tubular kit? Is picking up just tubular lowers a good idea? Is there a good source of quality stamped steel arms?

Thanks for any advice or recommendations. If there are brands of a-arms to avoid that would be good to know too.

Kris
I wouldn’t use that one, because it’s missing structural integrity.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
821 Posts
Im going to be buying tubular arms next week, my lower arms are in excellent condition from what I can see before removing them. Has newer ball joints that are still tight. Not sure where youre located I could sell/ship them. But I wasnt planning to pull them out right away.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Those arms are a dime a dozen. Rear steer 3rd gen nova are the same too. Just replace them.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts

View attachment 293776

View attachment 293775

Kris

View attachment 293776

View attachment 293775

Kris
Where are you? I am pretty sure I have a set of lowers in good shape except for one ball joint that will not accept grease, not old just accidently crushed with a jack. That said you will be pleased with the tubulars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where are you? I am pretty sure I have a set of lowers in good shape except for one ball joint that will not accept grease, not old just accidently crushed with a jack. That said you will be pleased with the tubulars.
I'm a little north of Denver.

This morning I had myself talked into tubulars, then I put a query out to the local junkyard to see if they've got anything. Unfortunately, they're not open on Mondays so I'll have to wait to hear from them.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I'm a little north of Denver.

This morning I had myself talked into tubulars, then I put a query out to the local junkyard to see if they've got anything. Unfortunately, they're not open on Mondays so I'll have to wait to hear from them.
Unfortunately, I am in Houston. Spent two weeks up there with two friends on Motorcycles in 1982. Blast. When we passed though Denver looked kind of dirty but from a distance, we pulled in to Boulder then branched from there. If you decide not to go with tubes the set I have is currently not going anywhere. But I am happy with my GW tubes and QA1 CO's. When I sold the uppers I think shipping was about $100 but memory has faded. Or come get them but Texas is HOT right now. Maybe rain on Thursday. Let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, I am in Houston. Spent two weeks up there with two friends on Motorcycles in 1982. Blast. When we passed though Denver looked kind of dirty but from a distance, we pulled in to Boulder then branched from there. If you decide not to go with tubes the set I have is currently not going anywhere. But I am happy with my GW tubes and QA1 CO's. When I sold the uppers I think shipping was about $100 but memory has faded. Or come get them but Texas is HOT right now. Maybe rain on Thursday. Let me know.
I won't be able to work on it for the next week anyway so that'll give me some time to think it over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts