Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Holey 80508-1 carb.

The image above is showing the part that secures the secondary diaphram and rod to the carb. On my carb, it appears to be a ring of wire, like a cheap key ring only a lot smaller which lies down in a recess. I cannot find anything to get down into the recess to be able to get thet wire piece out of there.

The rod of the diaphram is on the right side shown on a diagonal on the image and the retaining wire is right in the center of the image. You made need to enlarge it to see what I am talking about.

I need to replace the secondary diaphram and rod which has a 330 stamped on the rod. I'm not sure which part number is the replacement of that 330, that's question 1.

I think there's supposed to be an eclip retaining the rod to the carb but I can't seem to find any evidence that shows an eclip holding that rod in place. There just aren't any images of that particular connection.

Any help/suggestions out there?

Thanks!

·
Retired
26,740 Posts
Sure looks like a E clip to me, seems flat on the top and sides where wire would be round. If it's a C clip the picture is showing the back of the E and you just need some small needle nose to pull it off. If it's not a E clip I don't know, I can't imagine from what I can see (full size) that it is like a spiral key ring... You can get a replacement E clip so at some point I would probably go into destroy mode and improvise a way to cut the damn thing...

·
3,426 Posts
Holley uses those wire clips on a lot of their carbs. They are usually included in the rebuild kits. I usually just use a small pick to get them off. You can replace it with an e-clip if you want as long as it fits properly.

The diaphragm should be a part number 135-4

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
Looks like a "C" clip. A pick or small flat screwdriver will remove it with ease.

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See the white arrow in the image? That thin black line it's pointing to is the wire/c-clip. The wire is laying in a recess so there's no getting a hold of it with a needle nose or a multitude of other things I've tried. The problem is it's so tight I can't find anything to get under it. I have laid a dental pick there so you can see the size difference. The pick is as thick as the rod. If I go to a thinner pick than it's so thin it just breaks off. It's not even as thick as my fingernail and there's not enough of a edge anywhere to grab it where talking less than 1/64. If it is a c-clip I've never seen one so small.

Here are several of the tools I've tried. I don't even care if it breaks the ring. Tweezers don't have any grip. I was really hoping my pocket knife or that linoleum cutter would work but you can't get beside or underneath whatever it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure looks like a E clip to me, seems flat on the top and sides where wire would be round. If it's a C clip the picture is showing the back of the E and you just need some small needle nose to pull it off. If it's not a E clip I don't know, I can't imagine from what I can see (full size) that it is like a spiral key ring... You can get a replacement E clip so at some point I would probably go into destroy mode and improvise a way to cut the damn thing...
I'd gladly cut it but I can't even get in beside it down in that recess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holley uses those wire clips on a lot of their carbs. They are usually included in the rebuild kits. I usually just use a small pick to get them off. You can replace it with an e-clip if you want as long as it fits properly.

The diaphragm should be a part number 135-4
Thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
use a dremel tool with a cutting disk

Reactions: bill3337

·
Registered
42 Posts
A bunch of my 3310 carbs have the same clip. 2 picks, one on each side, pushing at the same time will get it loose easily.

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
A bunch of my 3310 carbs have the same clip. 2 picks, one on each side, pushing at the same time will get it loose easily.
Yes. It's simple, and will come off with ease. Picks, small screwdriver, or even small needle nose pliers. Choose your weapon if choice. I have removed many. Just don't overthink it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It appears to me to be a clipped clip, only in tact on one side. The clip has been excessed. I measured it which was almost next to impossible but:

The clip

Outer diameter 14/64 (7/32) (<1/4)
Inner diameter 7/64 (<1/8)
Depth 7/64 (<1/8)
Height 1/64 this was part of the problem getting something that could get enough grip on 1/64" x 1/16" along with the limited amount of space to work between the diaphragm rod and the end of the retaining rod.
And just to add fun it was magnetized.

The retaining rod

Outer diameter 11/64.
Inner diameter 8/64 (1/8)
Depth 3/64

Retaining clip raised above retaining rod by 4/64 (1/16)

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
Very good. Those are available in the rebuild kits, or in the help section of most auto parts stores. Or you could just re use that one. 👍

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's just so frustrating when you're trying to get something done and one part removal takes all your tools and several days. It was so hard trying to grip it. And I had to have a magnifier just to be able to see the thing. There's no reason it had to be so small.

Again, thanks for your ideas. They may come in handy at another point in time too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts