Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the rear of the car goes over certain potholes I hear something is loose on the passenger side. I hear a bang/rattle. Originally I thought my shocks were too short. A friend checked for me and said that is not the case. Unfortunatally, due to his heart condition he can't turn wrenches any more. I only checked the bolts on the front of the leaf.They were tight. We also recently removed the traction bars and I am positive my other buddy tightened all of the bolts from the u clamps. Do all of the bolts need to be tightened with an air ratchet? Does the car need to be in the air? Is there a diagram with all of the bolts listed so I can double check them? Any ideas. Thanks. Brian.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If you have race type traction bars that replace the entire axle mounting plate under the spring,they have a Square U bolt closer to the front of the bar that stops the bar from dropping when you it the brakes.This bolt shouldnt be pressed against the spring and should have about 1/2" gap minimum between the bolt and the top of the spring.Sometimes this bolt with tap on the spring as you turn or hit the brakes,there isnt much you can do about it,and tightening the bolt too much causes lots of problems such as bent traction bars and bent perches on the rear axle.If the bolt is the culprit there isnt much you should do.There could of course be other things rattling under the car,but those thing you just have to find the hard way.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
i found a 1/2 ratchet and a wrench that fell down inside my rear quarter! Looked like it had been there since 73.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts