Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help with engine trouble ...

67 with sb 350 (out of a 74 camaro) has been running great for years. recently, I started it up, but is running very rough. Sounds and feels like its running on 6 or 7 cylinders. It will start and run, but I can't drive it. It will stall if I try to drive it.

I changed all wires and all plugs. Same exact symptoms. I ran a compression test on all cylinders, 6 of them at 135 and 2 at 130 ... seems within tolerence or are those 2 suspect?

I run 87 unleaded gas and had always been adding instead-o-lead, but not real consistent about doing it. Did I burn up some valves? I would have thought the compression test would have shown greater difference in bad cylinders?

I tried spraying in carb cleaner. No change. I tried spraying in starter fluid to see if it ran smoother for a few seconds, maybe bad fuel, but no.... no change at all.

Thanks for any ideas... other tests to try?
cj

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The compression numbers are okay. You didn't say what distributor you have. You could have bad points, cracked cap, bad button on the rotor, any number of things. Have you checked each plug to see if it is firing, to rule out electrical problems? You can do this by hooking your timing light to each individual wire and checking for a flash of light or use another plug and try each wire while having someone crank the engine while you hold the base of the plug against a good grounding area on the block. This is where I would start.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Yep, pop the cap and have a look. If good, check for vacuum leaks, hoses pulled off. That sort of thing. Standing by,,,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts