Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next winter project is to put an original cam back into my 69 302. It currently has a hydraulic cam with roller rockers, Torker 1 intake & 600-650 Holley. Do you think I can just pull cam & put in a freshened 30-30 cam (thats what the original was right?) reinstall orig manifold & 800 Holley, leaving the roller rockers? I have all the original parts but I think a new cam would be a wise idea. I have no idea whats been done about the compression ratio, though since the car is a rocket, I believe its high. GM Direct stocks the orig cam (made by Crane) & lifters for $108.00.
What you all think
Thanks
Bill
waiting to hear the legendary Z28 idle.......

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
The DZ engine came with the 30-30 solid cam and a hi-rise dual plane and like a 780 vacuum secondary, Holley 3310-1 type carb.

I don't know if you can just change cams and lifters and nothing else b/c I'm really not up on what the different pushrod lengths between the two lifters are..

The roller rockers will be fine, though and will help upstairs with valve train stability. pdq67

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Any time you change anything in the valvetrain from stock, you should check the valvetrain geometry, especialy true if you swapped to roller rockers. I like and use the CC cast steel roller tips because they do the job and still fit under the stock cast aluminum valve covers. The 1.52 ratio roller tips did not require special length pushrods in my engine. It would be impossible to know in advance what pushrod length you need unless it is all stock. Hope you enjoy the new cam!

-Mark.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
billy d:
What dealer in your area will sell that 302 cam and lifters for $108. Please post the name or email me with the info.
Gary Lindeman

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Thanks, guys!
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts