Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new stock oil pan for the '69. It doesn't have to be correct but does need to be good quality. Summit list one for $23.95 (plain steel) which sounds like a cheapie and Rick's lists one for $124.00 for an GM original. Advance list cheapies also and like Summit only the specialty ones seem to be priced to at least make you think they are of better quality. So, are the cheapies good quality but just cheap because they're mass produced or will I really have to spend over $100.00 for something decent.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used the Milodon part # 30700 stock replacement with good success, it fits well and the steel seems to be thicker than the cheapy $20.00-$30.00 pans. Milodon also offers a HP version that looks stock on the outside, but has a built-in windage tray and baffle. Part #31503

http://www.milodon.net/main.htm

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I looked right past the 30700. When I saw the gold color I thought it was a specialty piece, never thought it would be stock but it said so plain as day. I'll give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
32,598 Posts
Why not look & buy a Z/28 6-qt pan from the dealer? Still available and holds an extra qt of oil.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion but I ordered the Milodon this morning. If the Z/28 pan is much pan deeper I'd be worried anyway as the car sits real low with the Hotchkis. If the pan gets much closer to the ground I may need a skid plate. lol

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Both the stock pan and the Z-28 version are available at your Chevy dealer,..the stocker is about $90. I'd use one of these.

I've used others,..one that didn't have the correct radius at the back and didn't fit around the gasket correctly, and leaked,..only I initially blamed the rear main seal,..spent a weekend replacing it, buttoned it all up only to learn later the after-market pan was the culpret. That was my lesson learned.

Also, some of the Moroso and Milodon "stock" pans or "claimer" pans have weird baffles that requires oil pick-ups that are meant for roundy-rounders (it's off-set to the passenger's side). I guess it would be ok,..but be aware that your stock PU may not work.

If ever in doubt, go GM,..you're seldom disappointed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts