Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tires on my 69 camaro are 275/60/15.

I didn’t think this was that crazy of a tire. I don’t have tubs or anything. The shop I had look at it said I need 1/2” to clear and that I could go down to 255 or put spacers in but they don’t recommend them bc they are illegal and not safe.

Would like to hear everyone else’s view on this? I don’t have tubs or anything (obviously)

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
474 Posts
get wheels with the proper backspacing and 275/60 is no problem. been running them forever

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know what proper back spacing is for a 69’

I also thought 275 was no problem..I mean it’s wide but it’s not insane

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
275 is max tire size for a 69 and you have to nail the backspacing. What are the size of your wheels and measure the backspacing.

1/2 is sort of pushing it with a spacer. 3/8 or less is fine imho. Lots of folks running them and I have in the past without issue. Really no different than a wheel with a thicker mounting face. Not sure about them being illegal, never heard that before.

Don

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you working with tapered lug nuts? With a 1/2" spacer, I'd be worried about moving the rim outward beyond the axle flange or boss. That design helps keep the rim centerd on the axle.

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
474 Posts
69 has less clearance
understood, i've had 69's as well with 275's. i don't remember off hand what the backspacing was but i didn't have rubbing issues. now my cars weren't lowered either. that can play a role

·
19,798 Posts
4.5" BS on a 8" wheel should be perfect. Yes the wheel wells are squared off on the outside... but I'm pretty sure the inner and outer are the same on 67-69.(double check this) ;)

Yes, mine is a 68.... but NO rubbing (not lowered either)

A 255 is about 1" narrower.

I had 285's at one time, but got a slight rub on hard turns and off camber bumps (on inner wheel well)

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All 4 are Billet special street lites. The backs are 15x8 and the fronts are 15x7 I’m not sure on my backspacing. Tires are BFG Radial TA 275/60/15.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
275 is a big tire on an 8" wheel.

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just left the tire shop. My 275/60/15 have 4.5 backspacing and they said they would recommend taking a cutter or grinder and cutting or grinding down the inner wells on the rear. The only thing rubbing is the top side of the inner wheel, nothing else.

has anyone done this? Any suggestions other than just start grinding away? Haha

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
Based on your backspacing I would have guessed you should be trimming your quarter panel wheel opening lips. You have .25” too little backspacing which moves the wheel out .25”...

You have to nail the backspacing with 275 tires. Either that or jack er up.... 🙂

Don

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
You know I am confused. Can you post a picture of where the rub is? I saw inner which a spacer would help but it would space it toward the outer fender lip. Pic would help.

·
19,798 Posts
Is it both sides or just one ?

My 275/60R15's have no rub issues.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
Is it both sides or just one ?

My 275/60R15's have no rub issues.
You have a relatively high ride height and 68 wheel openings. OP has a 69....

Don

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,177 Posts
Is the rub on both sides and only on the inside? Like Don said your bs would typically be short causing outside rub. Maybe the quarters have been rolled. Do you have a stock rear end? How bad's the rub. If the rub is only on one side maybe the rear end has shifted. A 275 on an 8" rim is going to bulge the tire some. Some brands are more susceptible than others and a lot of shops wouldn't mount a 275 on an 8" rim due to safety liability.

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ll get pics soon and show you guys. Not gonna cut and don’t think there is enough metal (Thickness) to grind down 1/2”.....I think Ianything I’d have to dent it in.

It’s rubbing on both sides just at the top of the inside of the wheels. When I take the wheels off and look straight in, you can see on the metal where it’s rubbing the top of the inside of the tire. It doesnt Rub when the rear is jacked up and tires are rolling in gear...as soon as it’s down and has weight on it though it rubs.

Has a regular GM 12 bolt. No aftermarket rear

1 - 20 of 26 Posts