Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk pan has been replaced, and the guy who did it didn't weld the hook back in for the hold down. I've not seen these available from any of the suppliers. Anybody know of where I can get one?

I also need an approximate location in the trunk where it goes. I don't see the location anywhere in the A.I.M. '68 RS Vert if that matters, but I don't think it could. Thanks in advance for any help. Brian

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, they do!! I missed them somehow at both Rick's and Classics. They offer different styles, guess I'll have to pick one. Thanks again!!! Brian

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Vert and coupe hooks are in different locations. Try an advanced search with "spare tire" and my user name. I have posted pics and dimensions for the vert before. If you can't find 'em, I can post again.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Had to laugh. By body guy did the same thing:p Didn't notice until trunk was painted:clonk:
Anybody got a solution to install after paint?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. The photos help a lot!!

thewebb1, The only thing I could suggest to not take any chances at all of ruining your trunk pain is to pop rivet it on. Get some big dog rivets and put 2 on each end of the bracket. They'll be hidden anyway, just an option. If you want to weld it, mark the location, drill holes in the bracket, clean off the substrate, and plug weld it in. Just be careful not to get it too hot, and you can probably do it without burning the surrounding paint. Just give it a tack and let it cool, repeat the process. I've also used an air gun to help cool the welds between tack welds. If you are careful, I'm pretty confident you can do it without burning the surrounding paint.

When you're done, just clean it up, tape it off, and repaint the bracket. Good luck with it. Brian

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I would think you could use some of the panel adhesive, but you may not enjoy paying $60 or so for the special gun and adhesive just to stick the hook down. Maybe the body shop could do it?

Something like JB Weld might work if you can get the surface roughed up enough to make it stick.

Unless your trunk is show winning base coat clear coat, I'd personnally just grind it with a Dremel, mask and prime with weld thru, and just tack the bracket on the way it's supposed to be. Then just refinish that little area. It's going to have a tire covering it, after all.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Ut-Oh ... I put mine back but I think it's the wrong place. Any ideas on to move it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure it's in the wrong place? Coupe or vert? If you need to move it, first get rid of the seam sealer with a grinder, putty knife, razor blade, whatever and locate the plug welds. Do you have a spot weld cutter? If you don't, you'll probably have to get one. Drill and 1/8" pilot hole down the center of the plug weld to locate the spot weld cutter. Then, use the spot weld cutter to cut through the bracket, but not the new floor.

This will take some time and patience, but that's how you have to do it to not harm your new floor. Once you've got it off, you can then clean up the back side of the bracket and the floor where you removed it, and then just locate the new spot and fill the holes you drilled in the bracket with the spot weld cutter with a plug weld. Good luck, Brian

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Are you sure it's in the wrong place? Coupe or vert? If you need to move it, first get rid of the seam sealer with a grinder, putty knife, razor blade, whatever and locate the plug welds. Do you have a spot weld cutter? If you don't, you'll probably have to get one. Drill and 1/8" pilot hole down the center of the plug weld to locate the spot weld cutter. Then, use the spot weld cutter to cut through the bracket, but not the new floor.

This will take some time and patience, but that's how you have to do it to not harm your new floor. Once you've got it off, you can then clean up the back side of the bracket and the floor where you removed it, and then just locate the new spot and fill the holes you drilled in the bracket with the spot weld cutter with a plug weld. Good luck, Brian
Coupe. Thanks for the tip/help. I guess I didn't think about the Vert vs. Coupe being in defferent palces. I assumed they would be in the same place for some reason. So which is which?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to click on "advanced search" and look this up yourself to be sure. There are different locations for coupe and vert, and the space saver vs. full-size spare. The link to the photo earlier in this thread posted by "keypilot" is a coupe, but it looks like it's for the space saver spare to me. I've seen photos where the space saver spare is tucked up under the sail panel like that.

I'm pretty sure from my research here that you have yours where the vert is supposed to be. Measure from the center of your drainhole back to the center of the bracket. If it's 9", I think that's where the vert with the full sized spare should be.

Please research this yourself before you cut that one off though!!! Brian

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
here is a pic of an original convert with the bracket in place.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
With the full size spare on a 69 coupe does anyone have a picture of the spare tire hold down bracket that is welded to the floor of the trunk and /or the mesurements of where this is welded to the trunk floor? I have done a search, but couldn't seem to find what I need.
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey wagonman
Do you have a picture of the jack brackets. I think those are 2 L brackets welded near the rear seat back.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the jack and the spare tire position on 67 convertible.
According my Assembly manual, there are two L brackets that hold the jack mast parallel to the rear axle. My 67 vert has original floor pan and there are no L brackets.
I will replace the trunk floor pan and I need pictures of jack brackets position.

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I installed modern 4 way speakers under the package tray, and when I went to install my spare, the speaker magnet interfered with the tire. I could not slide it all the way forward. Fortunately, I had a J hook with a bend in it that was the perfect offset.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts