Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like for my car to look as original as possible. It's a 67 RS convert. Does anyone know what kind of spare tire it would have had from the factory. I have a small metal loop in the trunk that I think was where there should be a long bolt to hold it down, but the spare in there now is a 14 in wheel and tire and does not fit in the trunk very well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I always thought it was an E70-14.
Spacesaver inflatables did not come out until 1970.

------------------
67 SS
70 Z/28

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Assembly Manual refers to a spacesaver - but I thought they weren't avail until '68

but there are 2 different mountings for full size tire - 1 for coupe - 1 for convert.

Coupe sits further towards backseat at an angle -

convert sits in the far right trunk groove - almost dead center (front to back)

At least that is where mine is ('67 RS/SS Convert)

Most repro parts houses have hook & wing nut to fit.

Hope this helps -

Steve

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dobek, I am in the process of replacing the trunk pan in my '67 RS/SS convertible. Your description of the location of the spare tire anchor helps a lot. Question, what kind of jack did the convertibles come with? (mine is gone) Do they differ from the coupes? Just wondering what to look for at swap meets. Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't have correct jack (yet!) so I don't have numbers - I'm not even sure '67s were numbered (I know for sure '69s are)- might be a good question to post on www.camaros.org (Camaro Research Group) - I'll put it out there for comment.

Take a look at this site: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261357343

shows a picture of a '68 - same design as '67

I let you know if I find out anything more.

Steve

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
an FYI post on spare tires. I understand that the spare tire for the new full size Chevy and GMC vans are great for early cars, especially if they have custom wheels. This spare is mounted on a 17 inch rim and will clear factory disc brakes.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
So you think thats bad... There have been 2 NOS jacks that the starting bids were $200!!! I was too afraid to look back and see the results!!! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by denverRS/SS:
Yikes! $76 bucks won the rusty jack! I know what to look for at the swap meets now. Thanks for the post. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts