Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to finally add a spare wheel to my 69 Camaro coupe, It has body color (blue) painted 14x6 dog dish cap steel wheels with a matching spare.

:confused: My first question is should the spare wheel be painted the body color as well or is it suppose to be argent silver?

:confused: My second questions is some people have the spare wheel assembly with the front face up and some people have it with the face down. what is correct?

I would think face up is correct, simply because you would have to remove the wheel to check the tire pressure if it was face down.

:bow: If anybody has a picture of a properly restored and installed spare assembly could you please post it or send it to me? I will do the same when it's finished.

Thanks TC

·
Retired
16,053 Posts
If you dont care about points at a car show, I mount mine face down so that the larger surface area (backside) is up and I lay an old bath towel in it and store fire extinguisher and other assorted 'stuff' that can be pulled out easily. Why loose the storage in such a small trunk? Just an idea :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Face down? That seems backwards, not that many people check the air pressure in their spare but to have to actually unbolt it and remove it to check the air.....

William, any pics to back this up?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
67/68/69 Camaro Assembly Instruction Manual section 10 page A2 "Spare Tire & Jack Stowage."

Note 8 states: "Postion wheel so that tire valve stem is down." Probably made it less likely to be damaged.

There are plenty of vintage magazine photos of this.

And while we are at it the spare tire covers I see so often were never used on 1st Gen Camaros.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Face down? That seems backwards, not that many people check the air pressure in their spare but to have to actually unbolt it and remove it to check the air.....

William, any pics to back this up?
In the 1967, 68 & 69 Factory Assembly Manuals, UPC10-A2, it clearly states and illistrates that the spare wheel is to be positioned so that the valve stem is down in both coupe and convertible applications.:thumbsup:
Any resto pics of the valve in the upward position would have to be incorrect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.