Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my spark plug cables was sitting on the headers and it burned a little. Probably enough to do some damage, so I want to replace it. I went to auto parts store looking for 8mm cables. Being a novice I didn't realize you have to buy a set of cables. They had two types one set for 35.00 which you need to cap yourself and another complete set for 99.00, which the clerk told me were for racing.

What's the skinny with cables? I could have a buddy of mine make me a cable, is it ok to mix and match cables per se or should I replace the whole set. Are these so called racing cables overkill?

Sorry if this question seems mundane, I'm a newbie. :D

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
the only mundane or stupid question on here is the one not asked.
Always replace the whole set. get your friend to put together the 35$ ones, that way they will be custom length for your particular car. and custom cables look great!
JM.02

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Beware that you can go too cheap. Some ignition wires have conductive plastic cores that last all of a few months before they fail.

The wires have a specific amount of resistance per foot. So long as your replacement wire is in the ball-park you should be good. Say for example your wires have 100 ohms per foot. Judging from the length of typical wires, if you were anywhere in the 100 to 300 ohm range you'd be just fine. If you don't want to go to the trouble of figuring out what your ohmage is, then replace the set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.