Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through my engine today, checking the spark plugs in particular to see how I'm burning and found this... Last guy who owned the car did some great engineering with electrical tape! Does anyone know where I can get a single cable from or do they only sell kits? I looked up these Mallory sidewinder 8mm pros and they are 80-100 bucks a set!! All My other cables are great! I can't see spending that much for a single cable, does anyone have a spare cable they are willing to part with I'll happily throw in some money. All my plugs looked good this plug had very light fuel on the electrode. Cable end wasn't insulating properly causing weak spark. Thanks
For the help!

\uc0\u8236 }

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
X2 on the boot, cut the old one off, don't damage the crimped terminal, then the go to a NAPA store, they may sell boots only. I got lots of MSD boots from thru the years.
I am sure lots of guys do. Got some old Taylor stuff.

·
19,871 Posts
If you can't find one...I may have a MSD one in my tool box ?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
Jeg's has 8mm plug wire sets for $40, sometimes you can find sets on ebay for a little less too. It takes quite a bit to destroy a boot unless it's old, hard dried out and brittle. The others are likely close behind the damaged one. As well I'd be leery of the rest of the plug wires and terminal connections (crimps) and suggest you ohm out each plug wire.

If they all ohm out about the same amount of resistance I'd say reuse is fine. If each plug wire is greatly different from the next or you have a couple with low resistance (better condition) and the majority are higher resistance you should replace them. Visual inspection is limited but look for cracking by flexing and bending the plug wires also.

In the end this is your Camaro, your baby and you want it in the best possible condition to keep her dependable!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Jeg's has 8mm plug wire sets for $40, sometimes you can find sets on ebay for a little less too. It takes quite a bit to destroy a boot unless it's old, hard dried out and brittle. The others are likely close behind the damaged one. As well I'd be leery of the rest of the plug wires and terminal connections (crimps) and suggest you ohm out each plug wire.

If they all ohm out about the same amount of resistance I'd say reuse is fine. If each plug wire is greatly different from the next or you have a couple with low resistance (better condition) and the majority are higher resistance you should replace them. Visual inspection is limited but look for cracking by flexing and bending the plug wires also.

In the end this is your Camaro, your baby and you want it in the best possible condition to keep her dependable!
?
how can you actually check the ohms, if each plug wire is a different length.
wouldn't each wire show a different reading?
what should be an acceptable difference be say between #1 wire and #7

·
Retired
26,665 Posts
?
how can you actually check the ohms, if each plug wire is a different length.
wouldn't each wire show a different reading?
what should be an acceptable difference be say between #1 wire and #7
Use a little math, break it down to ohms per inch for each wire. If good the numbers should be fairly close.

I should have added in my first reply to twist and bend the wire a little when on the meter to see if the numbers change. This would be an indicator of internal breakdown of the wire.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rest of my boots visually appeared fine, I'm going to order a couple boots and pull off that bad one. Just waiting to clear up a few other issues before I place a order through summit. Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts