Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my plugs yesterday and some of them were red in color????? I have never heard of this. None of them had oil on them. Some were gray, but most were this dark red color. What does this mean for my new engine?
I had ACDelco plugs in there and now I have NGK. I have an accel coil and 8mm wires that are going to be replaced soon.
thanks
jeff

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Jeff are you using octane boost? This will cause the plugs to be red/orange. If you used any kind of gas additive this could be why your plugs were red in color. That is not a problem. I would expect them all to be red though and not just a few of them. Some maybe a liitle more red than others.

Royce

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh, feeeewwww...
I did use octane boost but I haven't in awhile. I wasn't sure what the situation would be when I started. I have 10.2:1 and cast iron heads so I have slowly backed off the octane rating until I have gotten to the present of 89. Do you think I could live at 87? I doubt it.
thanks again,
jeff

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
10.2 - 1 with cast irons heads is pushing it even on 91,92,93 octane depending on where you live this is the best you can get at the pump. You must have one very healthy cam in that engine (lots of overlap). If not that popping sound you are hearing (from your other post) might just be detonation. I would suggest running premium in that engine. Are you positive it is actually 10.2 to 1? If so I am surprised you can get by with 89 octane.

Royce

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is no more than 10.2:1. And no less then 10:1 I just didn't compute the head gasket thickness.
Does detonation occur when you get off the gas? That's when I hear the popping noise?
jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Using Exxon gas will get you red tinted plugs!

------------------
Y2K YELLOW C5
BEST TIMES W/ BALD @#% EMT's & POWERLOADER II:
60'=2.02
1/8=8.54 @85.69mph
1/[email protected] (3,470 lbs. race ready)
1999 GMC SHORT BED SLE
1996 IMPALA SS (4,360 lbs. race ready)14.82 @ 92.59 MPH
1972 ELCAMINO (UNDER RESTORATION!)
1968 CAMARO COUPE (3,490 lbs. race ready))13.80 @ 100.44 MPH
1966 Mustang Hardtop (UNDER RESTORATION!)
Vice-Chairman, Virginia Section of SAE.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check the valves again. They probably aren't right. I'll have to hit that up later though cause it's raining...
Also, my cam is the performer rpm from edelbrock.
jeff

[This message has been edited by JefeOsterhead (edited 09-26-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts