Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I bought my first car last week, a nice '98 red V6 Camaro. There was a flash flood in Miami, where I bought the car. The water got to 1 1/2 feet deep, and the engine stopped. I replaced the air filter, which was wet, and the car started the next day.

I drove it 1400 miles to Michigan, where I now work, but I've had to jump the car 3 times because it wouldn't start. The Lansing, MI mechanic said the battery is low-voltage, so I'll replace that. He also said there's a short between the spark plug and the exhaust, which may be causing it not to start. He was gonna charge about $460 to replace it. I bought a platinum spark plug for under $6. Is it easy for me to replace the spark plug myself (25 years old.. haven't done it before). Is this problem common? Thanks a lot

·
19,798 Posts
=dwave08;1238208He also said there's a short between the spark plug and the exhaust, which may be causing it not to start. He was gonna charge about $460 to replace it.
A short between the plug and exhaust ???? Did he fill your blinker fluid too ?

I really hope you miss understood or didn't hear him right.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
"He also said there's a short between the spark plug and the exhaust,"

Maybe a plug wire shorting to the manifold?

I really do want to make a muffler bearing joke but I won't.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
a new plug won't fix it- sounds like a plug wire to me.
wires are easy to change- so, yes, you can do it yourself.
buy a plug wire set and replace them one at a time with by matching up the new wire with the old wire- the longest wire in the box replaces the longest wire on the motor, etc.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Because the air cleaner was wet and the water in the flood was most likely very muddy, I would change the oil for sure. The low battery problem could very well be caused by dirt in the starter solenoid which could cause a voltage drain. Keep in touch, since you are new and just learning about cars there is a vast amount of knowledge here about most anything you could ever want to know.

·
Retired
26,617 Posts
I don't know about the V6 but at the dealership it's about a 6-8 hr job to change the spark plugs in a V8. Half the engine is under the windshield and they do it from underneath the car removing the Y pipe and exhaust on the passenger side. I've heard from other 4th gen owners that the #8 plug is a bear to get to. Your V6 still sits half under the windshield but there should be a bit more room.

Most the answers you will get here are going to be from 1st gen owners. The site was designed around 1st gens and is expanding to accommodate the other generations but there isn't a real big following here yet.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
v6 cars are not bad at all to change plugs, you can do it yourself!! i think he meant maybe a coil wire is burned out??

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't know about the V6 but at the dealership it's about a 6-8 hr job to change the spark plugs in a V8. Half the engine is under the windshield and they do it from underneath the car removing the Y pipe and exhaust on the passenger side. I've heard from other 4th gen owners that the #8 plug is a bear to get to. Your V6 still sits half under the windshield but there should be a bit more room.

Most the answers you will get here are going to be from 1st gen owners. The site was designed around 1st gens and is expanding to accommodate the other generations but there isn't a real big following here yet.
it takes about 45min to change the spark plugs on a v6 camaro

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I replaced the spark plugs in my 94 Z and it took me about 4 hours. It is a real pain in the neck because most of them have to be ckanged from the bottom. If I remember correctly though, #8 wasn't nearly as bad as #2. It has been a few years though.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
FWIW

If you run the engine after dark with the hood open.......You should be able to see stray sparks or shorts in your ignition system.....ie a frayed wire grounding to a exhaust manifold......Hope this is of some help in determining or solving.....

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
98 should be a 3800 V6. Not bad at all to work on. DIS, so it's just wires going to the plugs from the coil packs, routed on top unlike the LT1 cars that are a PITA to put plugs in with stock manifolds. The wires shouldn't have been able to short to the manifold unless routed incorrectly to start with. Should be a metal heat shield around the plug boot that will need to get transferred to the new wires if I remember correctly. You can do plugs/wires in a couple hours even with no prior experience, it's not too hard. Just make sure the wires are away from things that move or get hot :thumbsup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Any misfire in that year car is going to cause the check engine light to flash and it will set fault codes for the skipping cylinder. Is the check engine light on or is it flashing?

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's because when you moved the car from Miami to Michigan you didn't change the air in the tires from Summer air to Winter air. Do that & you'll be fine....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts