Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the plugs in my Camaro (engine specs in signature) tonight and was wondering if there is a site that shows pictures of used plugs and what it means by the color and condition of the tip after some use. The plugs I took out were frosty white on the tips and all 8 were the same. They are ACDelco R45TS plugs and they had less than 5,000 miles on them.

The reason I changed them so soon was because I did a complete overhaul of my distributor this past winter when I discovered the resistor wire had not been removed when changed from points and I had been driving this car with only 7 volts going to the HEI. I thought it just might be a good idea to change them out since everything else had been replaced with new stuff.

The gap on the plugs removed were checked at .038 to .040 and the plugs I put in I gapped at .045. I also used the same brand and number.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
How did you power the HEI? I would worry more about that than the color of the plugs. The HEI must have full batt. voltage with nothing else attached to the feed wire that can draw any of it off. I use a relay but there are other ways of doing it. I am suprised it ran at all with only 7 volts. The change to 12 must have really woken it up.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The change to 12 volts was :eek: !!!! I removed the resistor wire from the wiring harness. I removed the wire harness from the firewall and took the resistor wire out. I then replaced it with a 10 guage wire and reinstalled it. I now get the proper voltage to the distributor. Oh, and my tach works properly now also.

·
Registered
451 Posts
chicane67, that is some interesting reading indeed. My question would be how to relate this info to a situation where it is not possible to check the plugs after run down the track. In other words. if I removed my plugs right now after an evening cruise, would I get any usefull feedback from my plugs?
Dan.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
With a new set of plugs......

Get on the highway.....find the speed limit.....and then while at a steady state of speed/throttle, shut the engine off. Pull the plug and get your reading.

I do suggest that you do this in a safe place and remember not to turn the key too far and lock the wheel.....if this is a function of your column.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts