Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took my old spark plug wires off, I meticulously labeled them so I could replace them just how I took them off.

These cables were accidentally tossed, so I went and bought a nice set of MSDs "especially for(my) SB." I have the firing order...so connection isn't a big deal. It seems that I remember a long time ago my dad cautioning me about spark plug wire length.

When replacing them in the past, I've always guaged each spark plug wire up against the new ones & used the one with the closest length. Does it matter? '82 V8 305, 4bbl.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This might seem obvious but here goes.

I like to lay them all out and see which pair are longest. Start installing them using the longest pair for #1 and #2. The next longest pair will be for #3, and #4, etc.

Some folks will start with #1 and go around the distributor cap using the firing order so that works too but you might want to pre-label the wires based on length as I detailed above.

It is important to verify the firing order at the cap so be sure to get #1 installed on the right tower and then check for 18436572 for the firing order. The distributor rotates clockwise when viewed from the top. That's about it.

-Mark.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Seems like after-market wires are never exactly the same length as stock (or other after-market wires). If you match lengths, you'll get to the end and have a wire too short or too long. I always go for longest, next longest, etc.

-dnult

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eeek...I see what you mean. With the MSD set I have 3 "pairs" of equal length, and then I have two oddballs that are several inches off (they match two of the other "pairs"). Hmmm....

#1 -- longest
#2 -- second longest
#3 -- etc.

?????

[ 10-07-2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Scott Reeves HSV ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts