Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Remove the plug wire at the spark plug, insert a #2 Phillips screwdriver into the plug boot, hold about 1/4 inch away from ground/engine, and crank the starter. If you have a BLUE spark jumping the gap, its good to go. Easiest statement to remember, "BLUE IS BEST"

Easiest way to check is to have the person you hate the most hold the end of the plug wire in one hand and touch engine with the other and start. If the person yells, then you have spark.........LOL

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Niether a DMM or a test light will work. The DMM will go poof! The test light requires more current than most ignition systems can provide besides the fact that the spark is a quick pulse that will never light the filiment.

·
Retired
26,595 Posts
I've seen a test lamp that clamps in between the plug and plug wire but you have to have extra clearence to use it.

How about using a timing light, put it on the plug wire with the engine running or being cranked over and if it flashes you know you have spark...

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Dnult, A test light works just fine. Your not trying to light the bulb, just provide a ground for the spark. All you need to do is connect the test lamps clamp to a solid ground, isolate the spark plug boot, crank the engine while holding the pointy, probe end of the light 1/2" or so from the terminal inside the boot. If you see a spark jumping from the probe on the light to the terminal in the wire, your good to go.

When I was in the business, I used this method a lot for testing at the coil tower on DIS cars or on upside down GM HEI distributor caps, on these cars it's a lot easier to bring the ground to the coil than to bring the coil to the ground. ;)

[ 02-24-2004, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: PDQUICK ]

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I suppose a piece of "bailin war" would bork just as well as a test light in this situation. A screwdriver works pretty well too for that matter. :D

Seriously though, that does sound pretty clever but not what you would typically consider a test light for.

[ 02-24-2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: dnult ]

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Ayuh, up heah in NH we prefar hose clamps 'n duct tape over balun wyuh, but this works bettah!! :D

Seriously though, the test light gives you a nice sharp point for the spark to jump too and allows some freedom of movement on systems with short or no plug wires!!

Paul D.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I like just taking the spark plug out and plugging it back into the wire -- then just hold the side of the plug to the engine block. When you crank the car you will see the spark jump across the plug gap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts