Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just attempted to start my car up this year, was taking awhile to get going and almost started but then I saw sparks fly from the positive cable and then nothing. The battery is charged but ignition won't turn starter. The cable posts are warm to the touch, I'm thinking bad ground wire, what's everyone's thoughts here. BTW, is the 67 camaro rs supposed to have a red cable going to ground and a black to the starter, seems wrong to me but not sure why.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Remove battery cables, inspect where cable goes into lead or brass clamp, replace if necessary and clean the posts and clamps if they are okay then reconnect and make sure they are tight.

As far as the cable colors, check that the cable going to ground id on the negative terminal/post of the battery and the cable going to the starter is on the positive terminal/post of the battery. Electrons don't care what color insulation the wire they are flowing through is, but yes, normally red insulation for positive and black for negative.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I know but I thought I saw somewhere here quite awhile ago that the 67 does have a red wire for ground. More concerned about the sparks. I'm going to replace the ground wire and maybe the positive one as well just to make sure but would like the correct matching colors.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The sparks you see are from a poor connection and it is arcing from the current draw. The hot terminal is your offender. Take it apart/inspect/clean and re-assemble like Scott said..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts