Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a search on putting speakers in the small 4x6 space behind the kick panels in my 69. I would really like to put speakers up front "somewhere". My car is a restification, 350 RS Auto soon to be 383, Muncie M20,w/Nova 8.5 3:70 rear(keeping all the original stuff). I'm not too concerned "now" about cutting the kicks for a 4x6 plate, but I have to say I kinda have reservations. Any suggestions for alternative speaker placement or should I go ahead an "neatly" install plate speakers in the kicks?
Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
141 Posts
I made a bracket that allowed me to put 2 small mid/tweeters in the original space in the dash, then a eally nice set of 6x9 in the rear shelf.
with a nice hi-power stereo, thats all you need. but then, I don't like rap, or need all the groung shaking, p*** off all the neighbors bass. just a little nice CCR on the road.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Guy,

here;s what i did in my '67

I cut the kcik panels, and fit a pair of Boston Acoustic 5-1/4 mid bass speakers there. I just had to do the slightest of grinding on the metal behind the kick panel so the magnet would fit.

right above the 5-1/4's, I have 1" tweeters aimed up and back.

The crossover's for each side sit under the dash behind the radio.

I puled my original kick poanels out since they were shot anyway, and ordered a new set from Clasic which I did the cutting on.

As far as the rear, I dropped in a pair of Pioneer 6x9's.

I built a box in the trunk that sits right behind the rear seat on that ledge that houses a 10" Punch subwoofer.

I don't have a rear seat, so the rear metal area is covered in Dynamat and a fabbed fiberglass/carpeted insert....kind of liek the area behind the fron seats of a Vette.
The trunk also has dynamat under the turnk mat, and on the underside of the trunk lid.

A kenwood 4 channel amp powers the interior, and a Jensen amp powers the sub.

The deck is an Alpine am/fm/cd that I custom fit to the dash in the stock radio location. (dash had already been hacked..I just finished it right
).

I'm not one of those "thumpers." My system is designed to sound good INSIDE the car while not annoying anyone outside.

cheers,
David

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Custom Autosound makes a set of speakers that will bolt-up right where the orginal, single speaker did in the dash, Kenwood also makes a set.NO CUTTING!! I installed them in my 69 and they sound OK to me. Good Luck with your choice...Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a set of 4x6 two-way Kenwood speakers and found some cheap-o rectangular metal grilles at Radio Shack that are very, very close to the original grilles that places want $70 for repro for. No grinding, just accurate cuts in the kick panels. Then I bought the Kenwood setup for under the dash, and have a neatly mounted 10" sub/amp in the trunk. This keeps your car looking original, even though the stereo speakers were supposed to come with a factory tape deck and package tray speakers....good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh, and by the way, you can make a bracket to mount your stereo under the dash between the steering column and the center dash, just in front of your right knee. Keeps it clean looking and hidden from %@&!# thieves too!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I saw an ad that I believe was in Super Chevy Magazine last month. Some aftermarket company sells replacement kick panels for first gen camaros with speakers built into them. They looked really nice. I'll look for that ad tonight to see who the vendor is & let you know.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Custom Autosound does make kick panel speaker sets for the Camaro, but only for 67-68. If you want to give up a vent control, these may work since you have a 69.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check with Custom Auto Sound see what they have. I definitly want to "ROCK". I HATE rap but love a good bass sound, especially when I've got MATALLICA kicked up. And I do listen to CCR, Led Z, ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, etc.,hell I'm 47, I was raised on rock!
Thanks for all the good feedback,
Guy

·
Registered
288 Posts
nantuckett 67.... do you have a pic of this bracket?

I want to have a good cd player with a good sounding system but don`t want to block the heat from my legs by putting them in the kick pannels. what is the best way to instal a well rounded system and a sub in th back?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked with Custom Auto Sound today and the man I talked to couldn't tell me much of anything. He did say the kick panels without the speakers were 75 a pair. I'll do so more checking, maybe talk to someone else.
Do you guys know if 68 kicks will fit a 69.
One of the controls for the Astro Ventilation will be eliminated when I install my Vintage Air, so thats not an issue.
Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by NHRA1877:
nantuckett 67.... do you have a pic of this bracket?

No, I made it. It mounts to the right side column bolts. Basically a 6" or so piece of flat bar, about 1" wide, and parallels the steering column, and at the end a stereo component bracket is welded (the kind an eq. or cb or whatever mounts to). The face of mine is flush with the bottom edge of the dash and squeezes right up in that spot between the column cover and center dash.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is the current setup i have in my 69 SS, it works like a charm:
Sony 10-disc changer in the trunk, hooked up to a kenwood tape player that fits the dash, which then hooks up to an 800 watt sony 4-channel amp, which powers 2 polk audio 6x9's in the rear and 2 6.5" polk audios in the kick panels. its all straight forward installation, all you have to do to fit the front speakers in is cut off all the mechanisms and stuff for the floor vents except the front grille, and install the speakers in the holes where the vents would be by fabricating some simple brackets, then install the kick panels right over them. the speakers fit pretty easily in there, since the magnets arent too big. of course, this is assuming that you arent using the floor vents, as is my case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts