Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of someone buying-ordering a new car and requesting that an engine be put in that was not offered normally?For instance how about someone having an 85 Camaro with a factory installed 350 in it even though 1981 was the last year for the 350 until 1987 when it was re-introduced in the Camaro.This is according to my 'Camaro white book'which shows every option including engines available none of which was a 350 in 1985.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
No - doesn't happen; people trying to sell you a car with the wrong engine in it will tell you it does, but it doesn't. It's illegal for an OEM manufacturer to produce a car with a powertrain combination that hasn't been EPA-certified for that model year, and that process costs about $10 million per combination. Great "Urban Legend", but not true.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
29 Posts
as john said, it would never, and could never happen!
the government regulates the manufactures, to prevent that from happening.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't believe it either but I had to ask because There is someone out there that thinks he has a legit 85 camaro with a '350'in it from the factory but who am I to burst his bubble?! Thanks for answering guys.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
anything is possible. i had an 87 caprice cop car that had the original 350 in it. when i went looking for parts at the chevy dealer, the 350 wasn't listed as being available in 87. they had to pull out a special book to find my part-which was a distributor cap-the same as a 305, but the idiot behind the counter swore they were different..
anyhow,maybe it is a special order type thing- did they make camaro cop cars then? maybe it was a dealer thing? maybe it is a 305 and the guy thinks it is a 350- i have seen that a lot..

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

1 - 5 of 5 Posts