Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m in the process of trying to install these tubular lower control arms, but they don’t fit. The instructions say to spread the pockets to get the bushings to fit, that over the years when the bushings have been replaced that the use of impacts or air ratchets have squeezed the pockets too narrow.

That is not the case with this car. I am basically the second owner of this unmolested original and have been the one who has replaced any parts or removed large components over the years. The original LCA bushings and other front end components were replaced in the late 80s.

This go around, the stock LCAs just slipped right out without any issue, but these new ones will not slide in like they should. I called and talked to one of their tech guys who said that I just need to spread the bushing pockets like the instructions state.

Here’s the problem; the rear pocket is formed by a boxed portion of the subframe and a rear tab, the front pocket is formed by two tabs. The pockets are already wide enough for either of the bushings to slip into, but the spacing between the front and rear bushings is too narrow by 3/16”. So to get the clearance, the rear tab of the front pocket will have to be bent or spread at least a 1/4 inch toward the rear.

Have any of you run into this same problem and had to bend the tabs that far?? Just seems like something is wrong here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I installed My Global West arms I remember using a mallet/dead blow and aggressive language.
So do all the aftermarket LCAs like Global West, DSE, Hotchkis, Chassis Works, etc. fit so bad that major massaging and bending of the subframe pockets is required?? It looks to me that it would be easier to cut the support tube on these, spread it 1/4 inch and weld it up to get them to fit. Shouldn't have to do that. Then what does that do to the geometry?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Mine fit fine. I'd look for pickup point measurements and see where the problem is... parts or subframe...

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
The Arms are probably all fine and the same measurement, factory frames just like the body especially after 50yrs are probably all slightly different.
Del-a-lum Control Arm Bushings arent as squishy as the rubber stuff, so I would expect it to be a little tight in even the straightest frame.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
the thing that I have learned over the years is that Car to Car, there are differences. No Robots assembling these cars when they were made. Heck, you have both Front & Rear Bumpstops on LCAs in the same model year!

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Id just do like it says in the instructions and spread it until it works.
Or put the stock arms back on if you're uncomfortable with modifying it.

"7. Install the new lower control arm in the reverse order. Because of bushing
variations and over tightening as bushings have been replaced in the past, you
may encounter an overly tight fit. If so, you will need to spread the tabs on the
control arm mounts. The best way to do this is to assemble a ½ X 4” length of all
thread with 2 nuts and washers inside the mount. Gently tighten the nuts so that
they spread the mount tabs apart. Test fit the arm periodically, as the mounts may
spring back slightly during this process."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine fit fine. I'd look for pickup point measurements and see where the problem is... parts or subframe...
Steve, which control arms do you have? I assume from your profile footer that you are running coil springs up front? The ones I'm working with are the coil over shock models (Camaro Central part #SUS-374).........do you know if they're the same as the coil spring ones?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts