Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm trying to resolve some speedo problems, currently my cable is routed incorrectly. Can anyone please tell me the
location wear it goes through the firewall? and exactly wear the clips mount to the floor board and do I need to drill holes for the clips or are they already there. By the way the previous owner installeed new floors.

------------------

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dave...let us know more about your sled and what tranny. In 69, the speedo cable was routed differently for different apps.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would help wouldn't it. It's a 69z28 small block with an m21 4speed. It has the optional gauge console also. someone routed the speedo cable out the top of the firewall near the throttle linkage, and down the trans tunnel.

·
11,296 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the cable was supposed to go down by the fuse panel, theres a hole for it. Also do the clips screw in?

------------------

·
11,296 Posts
Dave, that location is for Saginaw and automatics. Per 69 assembly guide, the upper location is for muncie trans. I will have to double check, but I think there is one screw that holds the clips in.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 11-19-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
There are three clip locations for your application; one on the firewall, one just rearward of the firewall in the right side of the trans tunnel, and one further back on the right side of the tunnel. All three holes are 5/16" diameter, and use a clip with stamped legs on it - you stick the legs in the hole, and use pliers to squeeze two ears together to spread the legs on the other side of the hole. The A.I.M. shows the cable routing and clips in Section M20, Sheet A9, and the hole drilling callouts for the cable grommet and clips are in Section 0, Sheet A9, item 8 and 8A. The clips aren't cheap - Rick's has them for $9.95 each.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm still confused about his cable routing...he says it comes out of the top of the firewall near the throttle linkage. My 69 Muncie cars (two, original) have the grommet/cable exit somewhere between the wiper motor and brake booster (I'm not near the car now or I'd check for exact location)...are we talking about the same locale?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The factory hole for a Muncie equipped car is below the wiper motor about 3 inches, slightly to the inboard side (not dead center under wiper motor) and the firewall clip is about 1 inch inboard from the hole.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

1969 SS: Matching # 350/300, M20 4-spd, 3.55 12-bolt posi, Daytona Yellow, Black Houndstooth, Factory Gauges, Spoilers, etc.

'85 Z/28: Rare Factory Yellow, 355 TPI, wifes car, lots of hot rod stuff, she will blow your doors off so don't mess with her!

1969 Z/28: Ralley Green, black standard interior, DZ302, M21, 3.73 posi, comfort grip steering wheel, factory gauges, spoilers, etc. FOR SALE?

[This message has been edited by DWCamaro69 (edited 11-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your help. I did look it up in the manual and it makes a lot more sense than it did before. However would there be any chance of getting a picture showing wear it comes thru in relation to the wiper motor. Since I'm having trouble visualizing it? Sorry to be a pain but I am trying to fix someone elses hacking on a decent car.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I don't have a digital camera, but it's easy to locate. There are 3 bolts that hold the wiper motor in place. One is at about 11 O'clock position. Measure straight down 6" from that bolt, and you will see a distortion in the firewall (about the size of a silver dollar) that faces somewhat toward the pass side front corner. There's a dimple in that flat, which marks the location of the hole to be cut.

Also, there's another dimple very close to that point that marks the location of the first speedo cable clamp. That's a tough one, cuz it's hard to get up under your dash to splay the legs of the clamp, once you push them through the firewall.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Oh, and this is important..... buy a plastic plug to pop into the factory speedo hole. Seal it up with RTV or something. Otherwize you'll be looking at water (read, rust) in the interior. You'll also get unwanted engine heat into the pass compartment.

You also need to seal the new speedo hole, and clip holes

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here's a question.

I will soon be replacing my speedo cable on one of Muncie 69's. The replacement cable I bought from Ricks, AC Delco, is a one piece unit. How am I going to get the end of the cable through the grommet...which looks barely big enough for the cable...I don't see how I'm going to get the fitting through without mauling/cutting the grommet (the fitting that attaches to the guage is about 5/8's inch od).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sleepy-69, You need a tool like the one pictured below to push it through the grommet. E-mail me your address and its yours for the cost of postage, if you want it.
Al.

------------------
'69 Z28 (X77 D80 72 72)
302, GM Crossram, Doug Nash 5 speed, 3.42's
Body Engine1 Engine2

[This message has been edited by 302XRAM (edited 11-21-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Al, you saved me a post describing how to make the tool - that's exactly what we used in the plants to get the speedo cable through the grommet (after dipping the cone in soap solution).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I had to "finnesse" mine on. I rubbed some straingt dish washing liquid on the rubber. Whish I'd had access to that slick tool.

The primary hole is 1", the holes for the clips are .326-.340. I used a 5/16 and hogged it out a little.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts