Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedometer in the camaro has been slow, and recently just stopped on 40, and sometimes moves slightly.
The one thing that gets me is that the odometer is still turning over.
What could this be caused by?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
The cable may need lube.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If the odometer is working (Calculating correctly) then the speedo cable is fine. Maybe fluid has gummed up the speedo (leaking any tranny fluid?) or its just a 35 year old speedo that needs replacing (magnets stopped working properly)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Brian is probably right on that one. I was thinking it was the plastic worm gear that they switched to in 68 (Another reason I love my 67), but I looked at a 69 speedo I have laying in the garage and the worm gear only works the odometer. If you want the one I have let me know.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I have an extra 67 speedo laying around somewhere too.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Same thing happened to another older vehicle I used to have. The speedometer started acting silly and it was caused by transmission fluid going up the speedo cable and entering the head. I never did get it to work right after that. I was told the head would have to be replaced. The bad thing was this car was a 1968 Triumph Spitfire MK3 and there were no after market producers nor could I find a used one. I just had to live with out it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
strange, i'm going to have to get under there and look around for anything out of the ordinary.

In the mean time, does anyone know of someone that sells parts so that i can rebuild the speedo instead of buying a new one, or used one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.