Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's my speedometer was making noise so I sprayed WD-40 down the cable. The noise went away, but now the needle bounces. Anyone know what is the best lubricant and how it should be applied to fix this.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I bought a speedo cable luber from Mid America Corvette. It has a fitting with a grease zerk that you can screw on the cable and pump it full of grease with a hand grease gun. It worked great right up until I lost it, or atleast I couldn't find it the last time I looked.

Speedo Cable Luber

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Chassis grease isn't a great lube for speedo cables, especially if you drive the car in cold weather - it gets pretty stiff. Most auto parts stores have special speedo cable lubricant that contains graphite and stays thin at low temperatures.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guy's thanks for the inputs. I didn't know you could pull the cable out. I went to the parts store and they suggested using graphite. I did, and it worked great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem, it seemed to me trans fluid would be the lube to use since the gear is in the transmission, and it can get on the cable and possibly work its way up the sleave.
I had no idea, and all of the info I've read never addressed this! Why?
Its good to finally have found a site that addresses real problems and real solutions!
Thanks!

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
I know that automatic tranny fluid can work its way up the cable and drip out of the speedo and down onto your bare leg in the summer heat. OUCH..
The cure was to replace the piece that bolts into the tranny that the cable screws into. That Stainless steel piece has a seal on the inside edge that is suppose to keep the fluid from walking up the cable, more or less 'squeegy' the fluid back into the tranny. My seal went bad and I had a Chev dealer find that one piece part at a tranny shope for the TH350 and in 2 minutes it was all fixed, no more leaking up the cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok, now whats the fix for today? LOL. You know when I removed the old cable, I noticed it was coated with a gray material. At first I thought it was from wear, but now I know its the factory lube.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Originally posted by RickB1B:
Guy's one more follow up. It turns out the graphite did not work in the long run. This time I got some moly grease with graphite in it. This has worke great.
That's what I use - ARP Assembly Lubricant - best moly grease around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You mean engine assembly lube? Well I have some of that. Now are you guys "sure" this is the "fix"? :D

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
haha... just for another opinion... What I've always done is stick the guage end of the cable thru a baggy, duct tape it, hang it from the rear view mirror, and pour motor oil in the baggy... let sit ivernight, and viola, no more squek, no more bounce...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts