Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to place the end of the speedometer cable housing through the small hole in the round rubber seal that fastens to firewall. The last car I restored I think I ended up cutting the seal to get it through. Has anyone found the solution? I bet originally the seal was placed on the cable housing before the ends were attached.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Anyone? I did the same thing BUD did and my seal keeps popping out. Never could figure this one out.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The speedo grommet was subassembled to the cable just before the cable was installed to the car. The secret? a 3"-long metal cone, pointed at the small end, just a little larger at the big end than the threaded collar on the cable. The speedo end of the cable was placed inside the cone, the cone was lubricated with soapy water, and the cone was stuffed through the hole in the speedo grommet; remove the cone, stick the speedo end of the cable through the dash from the engine side, seat the prongs on the grommet in the hole, and you're done. (standard Chevy assembly aid - I did this job for a few days on Corvairs and Chevy II's in 1964 at Willow Run). Improvise a cone and you're in business.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
460 Posts
John, I keep printing out your posts for reference. It would be easier if you could send me a copy of your brain. Did you ever think about writing a book?

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Just glad I can help out occasionally - as someone once said, "Youth and exuberance are no substitute for age and experience", or something like that. After 36 years in the car assembly and automotive manufacturing engineering business, you learn a few things - the secret is to remember them. My wife claims a copyright on my brain, and she won't allow any copies - unless she gets a really healthy advance.....

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
236 Posts
JohnZ, I notice your name over on the Corvette forum as well. There are a few books that cover the Corvette assembly plant/process with some really cool pics. It would be nice if there was something that covered the Camaro assembly plant/process as well. The Camaro has quite a history and a large following. Have you or someone you know given a thought to putting a book together covering this aspect of the early Camaro?

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1331216&a=9901695&p=33013081

1 - 7 of 7 Posts