Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking out the automatic and putting in an M20 with the speedo drive on the passenger side. Can someone tell me the lenght of the speedo cable I need and where do I need to run the cable. I believe I read somewhere that the cable for the Muncie exits through the firewall somewhere near the tunnel as apposed to near the steering column on the auto. I've seen 2 different cables for the Muncie 4 speed, one was 61" I believe and the other was 81".
Thanks, Guy

Guy

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used the same cable I can't remember off hand where I routed it but used same exit through firewall. It was longer but not so that it was hanging down or anything this is on a 67.

------------------
http:community.webshots.com/user/tpd67

[This message has been edited by T.P.DONAGHY (edited 12-09-2002).]

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I had a new cable custom made to exactly replace the original from my 67 Z28 (small block with M21). I had it custom made because the dweeb at Rick's First Gen insisted I needed a two-piece cable. Duh. The firewall hole for the speedo cable is to the right of the brake booster (towards centerline of car), barely below the top lip of the transmission opening -- there's another hole (for Saginaws) just below the pushrod boot which you should plug with a 1" plastic or rubber plug. My original cable measured 61".

------------------
Denis dba [email protected]
Deepwater Blue 67 Z28 "project car"
Marina Blue 67 Z28 "survivor car"

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
The transmission speedo fitting is on the "passenger side" of the transmission.

The speedo cable from the dash cluster comes through the firewall just to the right hand side (i.e. "passenger side") of the brake booster, curves around the top of the bellhousing and runs along the side of the transmission tunnel to the fitting on the transmission.

Two retaining clips are used, one a couple of inches from where the cable comes through the firewall, and a second in the transmission tunnel on the passenger side, alongside where the passenger's feet would be. The clips are sold by Rick's First Generation and labelled as for a 1969 but they were identical to those used on my 1967.

Also, there's a grommet on the engine side of the firewall opening where the speedo cable comes through. Rick's sells that too but be forewarned that it's a LOT easier to install the grommet BEFORE you fit the ends onto your speedo cable. In my case, I gave the grommet to the guy who built my cable so that he could fit it on before he crimped the two end plugs on. Otherwise, you have to cut a slit into the grommet and that just "ain't right".

[This message has been edited by deejaygee (edited 12-10-2002).]

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, someone sent me a picture showing where it exits the firewall. It looks like the 61" cable is what I need to order. The clips that hold the cable, 3 required, are almost 30 bucks. I think I'll go to the local hardware and get a couple small electical conduit clamps to handle the task.
Thanks again,
Guy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts