Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got new bearings & hubs in the front of my 69 Z28. Anybody have an idea what the required torque on the spindle nut needs to be? Is it supposed to be just enough to eliminate side to side slop?

Thanks,

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB

·
3,344 Posts
Shawn,
If you have never done this adjustment before, you really should get someone who has to show you. It is described in the service manuals, but also reequires a bit of feel to get it right. Basically what you do is tighten the nut while turning the rotor, or wheel, to a specified torque. This is supposed to get the bearing completely seated. Then you back it off, and retighten it by hand until it is just snug. Then loosen it until the first hole lines up to get the cotter pin in place. This should give a very slight amount of play in the bearing. It is probably better to be be on the loose side of the adjustment rather than tight. After you have done about a hundred of them, you get a feel for it and personally I never have used a torque wrench.
Like I said earlier though, this is a very important adjustment, safety wise, and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, have someone show you the first time.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 12-03-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts