Steve, This was discussed a few days ago, and I believe I read where like a lot of things you'll see it both ways. I placed mine underneath the A-arms and some just layed them on top. I personally thought they looked like they were cut and made to go underneath and not on top. I believe it gives them a neater appearance also.
On my car the staples went through from the inside and had the tabs bent on the side towards the wheel.
On the same subject....... any tips to bending the staples ????? They are a real PITA to bend. I keep mutilating them and cant seem to get a good clean tight bend on both ends. Is there a special tool to do this right ????
Needle nose pliers works for those staples. The stainless staples might be a bear but the carbon steel ones should be only medium frustrating and tedious. I solved the problem with a drill bit, Pop rivits and #8 washers. Not exactly factory but I only have to please myself.
I cut some pieces of stainless steel wire to the proper length about the same size as the original staples that was strong enough but yet flexible enough to bend over on the back side to look and hold without any problem. When you look at them they actually look and hold like real staples and were very easy to work with and install.
1969 Z28, Fathom Green, DZ302, M20, 4:10, deluxe black and white houndstooth interior, PS, TW, AM/FM factory radio, console with gauges, comfort grip steering wheel.
I did most of mine with the inner fender off. But for the ones that go down by the subframe, I wanted to place them while on the car. I used dum dum on my finger, and threaded them through predrilled holes by sitting in the wheel well and reaching under the frame. Then I used needle nose pliers to bend them over.
You are right, it is a PITA, but part of the joy of the restoration.
I tried to use the staples, but it was ridiculous trying to get them in and bent. I did the same thing that was mentioned above. I used wire that I cut to the length that I needed, drilled the original staple holes a little bigger and installed. The wire worked great!!! It was much easier to work with and looks exactly the same as the staples.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to 1st generation Chevy Camaros owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, builds, restoration, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, reviews, and more!