Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 400 #509 block is going to the machine shop soon and I'm converting to splayed mains at that time. Just wondering what manufacturer everyone else is using and have you had any issues? Milodons, Eagle, CAT, Rousch, GM? I'll be using ARP main stud kit for the splayed caps with a tray. I appreciate your opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Everyone i know swears by the Milodon

·
Registered
117 Posts
When the machine shop did my 400 they used splayed caps made by Oliver. I never heard that name before. But they said it was a good brand.

·
Banned
938 Posts
The Milidons are nodular cast iron caps. We use ALL Pro-Gram BILLETcaps at our shop as there caps are only at a 10 degree angle on the outter bolts as most after market caps are 15 to 22 degrees on the outter bolts which may get you into the water jackets.

We use the flat bottom caps only as dealing with stock blocks the register depths from side to side seem to vary quite a bit making it a PIA to properly fit cpas to and on stepped caps they seem to fit the registers to tight which requires some Bridgeport work.

At out shop we cut the register and drill and tap for splayed caps in less then 20 minutes and we charge 125.00 then from there we line bore and line hone.

On those blocks its a good idea to sonic test before anything is done to make sure you have a good peice before you start.

The Oliver caps are made by Pro=Gram Engineering

Good luck with your build. Carl.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Milidon is the way to go. Wouldn't use any other.
Cast stepped caps are not a good as a set of billet flat bottom caps. All the high end shops we do cap work for all want billet caps. And all the high blocks that are produced use billet as well. Dart only rates there nodular cast iron cap block at 900 horse and ther billet cap block ther is no limit.

Just comparing apples to apples here how many sets of nodular iron caps have you installed over a good set of billet caps.

The last block we saw with Milidon caps last year the other shop that had installed them drilled the outer bolt holes into the water jacket and do to that proceedure thats why we ended up with the mess as it took the main bearings out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts