Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHOA...I hooked up this tach I bought off a guy earlier today and did red and white to power, green to hei, and black to black (negative...I turned on the ignition and the light turned on and then the needle just kept going all the way up...I thought that was wierd considering the shift was set at 7000rpm...So I thought I had a wired wrong and disconnected the white wire which is for the lighting and then started the car again...it still didnt register....I then reconnected the white wire with the red wire and proceeded to start the engine...it was a no go and cranked and cranked...it wouldnt start.....I then noticed white smoke coming out the engine compartment by the hei....WHAT THE HECK DID I DO WRONG?>>>did I fry the HEI?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IM thinkin I had all the wires touching somehow....Im gonna go try again ...hopefully no smoke this time and the engine will start...if not back in five....well....you know who to call...lol

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k...engine fired up...the tach wires were touching causing the no start and smoke from dist....but what I cant figure out is why the tach just floats up to 12 and never registers rpm?...broken piece of **** maybe

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Where is the green wire hooked to? Sounds like you might be getting DC to that wire.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
green is hooked to distributor
red to the side of the carb?
and black to the starter?...(can you ground off the starter shell?)
I did reverse the red and black but it didnt do anything

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Do you have the green wire connected to the TACH terminal? It is the one on the front left side of the disbributor cap when looking at it from the driver side fender.

Really the only wire you need to go outside the car is the green wire. The red can get a female spade connector and plug onto the fuse block beside fuse labeled IGN. The black wire and get a ring terminal and ground to the metal dash frame. You may see some instrument grounds already there between the steering column and e-brake. The white can be left disconnected until you figure it out, then it can just be tapped into the gray wire feeding the instrument lights.

With the key on and car off, the tach should immediately go to zero. When the car is running and then shut off, the needle will stop where it was when power was killed completely usually around 700-1000 RPM since it's an air core meter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts