Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use one of the dye penetrant inspection kits to check for cracks in aluminum?
I need to check an edelbrock air gap intake for cracks.

·
21,052 Posts
I used them in welding class when I was starting out but never on aluminum.

on steel...Works great IMO.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use brake cleaner, spray the suspected area, the cleaner will go into the crack, the cracked area will evaporate slower than the area that is not cracked. probably not perfect, but is effective.
Dale

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I never tried the brake cleaner trick but it does sound like that would work. The dye penetrant kits use a thick developer that will seep the red dye up into the developer. I suspect that small cracks would be hard to detect.
I used to work at a shop that had both magnetic particle and penetrant operations. I sure miss having access to those for my car stuff.
I did order the kit. I'll try it this week when it comes in.
I bought a replacement manifold as I believe that is the problem. There may not be a crack, I did find a size difference between the old/new that could be giving me the vacuum and oil leak. The new manifold is about .040 bigger across the machined surfaces that mate to the heads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.