Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the spring battery cables in use but for some reason I am having to constantly play with the cables as far as twisting and pushing on them to get the connection tight to get the engine to turn over. I noticed that once I try to start the car and it clicks, I go to play with the cable and I can smell a sulpher like smell around the battery...Also the positive terminal is kind of black. Should I junk the spring cables and go with the newer style cables? Is there a trick to these spring cables or a way to tighten them up to get a good solid connection?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
if you care for originality,try cleaning your connections...i had the same issue with my 69. i cleaned the post and cable with a batt cleaning tool. works well now.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I'm running the spring clips and have great luck with them. Have had them off several times too. I did notice that it is very important to make sure you have them down as far on the post as possible to keep them tight. Some of the better spring clip cables have a spring steel insert inside the lead connector to maintain the shape. Factory Fit cables are one of the better ones made. Others loose their shape pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Hmmmm, my ORIGINAL cables that came from the factory on my 69 are screw-on side post type. Still have the battery ends. Wonder why they aren't presented as 'original' in the repop catalogs?

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Fred, someone on this site said that the early 69's had top post and then they went with side posts later in prod. Mine is a early 10D car. So I think they both can be original.

Hmmmm, my ORIGINAL cables that came from the factory on my 69 are screw-on side post type. Still have the battery ends. Wonder why they aren't presented as 'original' in the repop catalogs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts