Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am in the process of installing my new Moog 6320 front springs. I have a SB with iron heads, PS and Air conditioning.
I think I'll need to cut the springs for proper height, now can you tell me if I cut 1/2 coil what will be the drop generated?
Should I first cut 1/4 coil ?

If somebody have these springs on his camaro SB with AC I'd be glad to see the stance !

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
How much do you want to lower the car? How does it sit with the uncut springs?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are those stock springs? I know that with the Guldstrand springs, they used to recommend cutting two inches of coil for every 1/4 inch drop. Be aware that this is a very rough estimate. And if they are new springs, they may also need time to settle.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
If you cut less than one full coil, won't the ends not sit right in the saddles? Won't they move around and stress (and maybe break) the ends? I guess not since it seems to be common practice.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
go2fast said:
If you cut less than one full coil, won't the ends not sit right in the saddles? Won't they move around and stress (and maybe break) the ends? I guess not since it seems to be common practice.
Good question. I always thought you had to cut them off a full coil at a time too.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
clwilcox33 said:
Good question. I always thought you had to cut them off a full coil at a time too.
I cut what I need from the top of the spring, and then I make a ±1.5" long chamfered/flat, on the top coil end, where it touches the coil upper pocket. It works for me.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, I'll try first without cutting them then and I'll see... My rear end is pretty low though so if front end is raised a little bit I need to raise the rear as well. But that is impossible without changing the springs is it?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Marc,

I cut my #5536's by first clocking the ends to stock and then cutting one full coil off the open end, the end that goes down.

I wished I would have first cut the top or closed end b/c it would shorten the springs less b/c that first coil is closer together and then smoothed it of like ORENCH mentioned doing.

But my car has plenty of clearance as well as feels solid as a rock up front with my BB and Gas-A-Just shocks.

BUT I have to say, my car has never been this low fender height-wise before so is definately different to me!

I have posted both front and rear top center fender heights before if you want to do a search..

pdq67

1 - 9 of 9 Posts