Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I've got some questions for my fellow experts. I've been denying the need for new Leaf Springs the past couple years and am now in the realization that I need to just bite the bullet and get it done.

First question, I've made the decision to go with Koni Shocks and I've seen comments from others about opinions of other Shocks manufacturers, but could anyone that owns a set of Koni shocks let me know if they went with the soft setting or perhaps how many turns they made to stiffen up their camaro for the best ride/performance (I know this is strictly personal preference, but would be interesting to hear)

Second, I'm going with the 4 leaf spring route, but anyone know the difference between going with someone like Eaton Springs @ $224 vs. someone like Ricks First Gen @ $204? I know we're not talking about much money, but Rick's is driving distance, thus obviously cheaper and if there's no difference, I'd go that route.

Last... and I don't mean to sound like a bonehead.... Do Coil Springs wear out and should I just go ahead and replace those?

I respect everyone's thoughts and appreciate you taking the time to help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I've gotten the answer to my second question, but I'd appreciate anyone who might be able to answer Questions 1 & 3.

If you want.... make up a response. ;-)

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
If you want.... make up a response. ;-)
Finally, a technical question I have the liberty of answering (you opened the door):

#1 - I think you should go with the Koni shocks. No real reason. I just think the name "Koni" sounds cool, and I also like the way it looks in type: Koni Koni Koni

#3 - Coil spring wear out. I know this because the 2nd law of thermodynamics says that all thinks go from order to disorder, aka "entropy". As for when they need to be replaced, I have no idea.

Hope this helps. If not, at least you might have had a good laugh. I have no idea how anything works on these things yet. I'l still in the "hunting and gathering" stage. Future plan is to evolve into the "industrial" age in the near future... good luck :)

·
10,164 Posts
Coils don't really wear out, meaning they don't lose their spring rate in lbs, but they do sag, especially old coils. If your ride height is where you want it, keep the old coils. New coils will go through a settling phase and they usually don't have the desired ride height.

That said, original coils are often too soft for Camaros with greatly increased horsepower and wider tires than they ever thought of back in 1969.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
There ya go... advice on this topic doesn't get any better than from this gentleman.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You all are scholars and Gentlemen. May the wind always be at your back, your toast fall butter side up and always have enough gas to get you to the next station. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts