Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice mechanic and became a recent owner of a 68 Camaro RS. Most of the suspension is newer. The front driver side is squeaking like crazy. I have noticed all of the grease points - and assume I should start there. Rubber bushings appear in decent shape. Any recommendation on grease to use and how frequently is this typically done? Thanks much!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Sounds like you might have poly control arm bushings. They are known to squeak.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Thanks Don. I'm quite sure they are rubber. Do the grease fittings need to be lubed from time to time?
Grease fittings on the control arm bushings?

Don

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
It looks like they are the upper and lower ball joints and they do get greased. The control arm bushing do not have grease fittings and those may be the poly that squeaks. I have 2 cars like that.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
The 2 places that have rubber on metal that cause squeaks have already been mentioned and are the likely culprits: upper control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. Bounce it up and down with the hood open and you will find it. Control arms should be torqued with the full weight of the car on the ground so there's no binding. The sway bar bushings on the frame can be removed and cleaned and lubed a little. You probably aren't getting squeaks at the ball joints indicated in your picture but they should be greased as regular maintenance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It looks like you have an upgraded aftermarket sway bar. Most of these kits come with poly bushings. Follow your sway bar inboard to where it connects to the frame with a U-bracket. Check the bushings there for your squeek.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts