Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as with the majority of re-build projects we are running behind schedule and, religiously, every several weeks we turn the crank of the reman'd 327. today, for the third time, someone has strongly suggested that when we remove the plugs, squirt stp in before cranking for better engine protection. i do trust a couple of these guys but i have not heaerd of this before. so, i turn to those who know our vehicles best; your thoughts, and comments, please.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It won't hurt. I see you in AZ and the air is very dry most of the year, but it doesn't take much for a little condensation to ruin a machined surface. (especially when it's sitting for a while)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
even with ol' andy g. behind the product, never really believed in it.

now marvel m, that is a thought....even with the drier climate it couldn't hurt.

thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
The STP may be a good suggestion. The specific gravity of STP is waaay high, meaning the effects of gravity upon STP will have a lesser effect than a thinner liquid.

STP clings, oil flows. I don't care for the product either, but when the crankcase develops a knock and the billfold is thin, the product does work. JM thoughts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
stp may also hinder the break in process aka ring seating on start up. i wold reccomend mmo for that type of protection

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well guys, thanks for your input. unfortunately i let my buddy talk me into the stp. he swears by it and he has re-built several engines using this method. i did restrict the amount he used and we'll see what happens(he wanted 3-4 "squirts" from the oil can, i gave him 1+ a little). i definitely will research the fogging oil for future engines.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I use ATF on rings and skirts when assembling to ensure rings can "seat"...never have lubed after initial asembly. I use fogging oil on stored motors...

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am not too worried about seating of the rings, all precautions were taken during re-build.
i guarantee it will smoke like crazy when started.
just an fyi, the gm master techs i've spoken with recommend either fogging oil or wd-40 :confused: and they do support the earlier comments about stp defying gravity and clinging longer. they also agree that due to the limited amount applied we should be okay.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
This thread reminds me of the 60's. We couldn't drive across town without seeing blue smoke pouring out of a garage or service station at least once. The myth then was that STP was some kind of magic goo, to be poured right into the carb throat while the engine was reved-up. Crazy! It's nothing more than a viscosity index improver. (It makes your engines' oil thicker. You know, 30wt into 40wt. That sorta thing)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts